Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart (RRR)  (Read 16869 times)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart (RRR)
« on: May 31, 2015, 09:07:12 AM »
Yesterday I came across this grill on Craigslist. Based on the logo on the front which was first used in 1984 and the fact they released the Genesis for the first time in 1985, my assumption is that this is a 1984 Weber Gas Kettle Cart. As can be seen in the pictures she's gonna need a lot of work. List of work I see so far is:

1) Replace lid handle
2) Fix lid dent
3) Replace missing whitewall on one tire
4) Restore/Replace wood pieces
5) Replace deflector
6) Replace bolt for kettle attachment
7) Reink the plate
8) Replace the drip tray

Time to start researching restoration stuff.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:18:44 AM by AZRaptor »
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 09:34:56 AM »
There it is......the second one.......ever, I far as I know....... 8)

I would imagine some kind of universal interchangable parts can be found to get it going, but not exactly sure what's up until you get into it, I guess.....

GL Rassmussen found a pretty nice one that went to Reilly's kettle museum.........here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/not-what-i-expected/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/the-great-pumpkin-is-real!!/msg56068/#msg56068

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »
Haven't seen such detailed pictures of that gas model before. You can definitely see how it influenced the Performer, especially in the bowl mount.

What was the first year for this? I presume since it predates Genesis, it's the first model to use the familiar square tubing frame idea?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:56:33 AM »
There's a date code on the pedestal. Looks like 6/83?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 01:10:26 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke

"What was the first year for this?'

This is the "only" year for this.....the two in this thread are likely or possibly the only two out there, unless there's some in OZ............

this is at the start of the gas explosion (pun intended), but Weber had such good fortune with the kettle shape, this was an attempt to mix the two which somehow never caught on......

The above is speculation on my part, but look back thru the history of when gas BBQ''s really became popular, when Weber began to really get into the game, how wildly successful they are with gas now & how much of their sales percentage is gas compared to charcoal (hint: Huge difference)

These are a pivot point of an entire era, the way I look at it....... 8)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »
I added close ups of the seals on the plate. The one on the left is the US Safety Seal and the one on the right is for Canada.

1buckie, someone posted a link to this Youtube video on my thread in the Online Finds section. They show this model at the 1:33 time mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBrw27YAbb0
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »
Thanks, I remember that one......seems the "Imperial Line"  (Sequoia carts) made it in just a little more expansive way than the gas kettles & carts, or about the same.....neither for very many years..... 

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 02:11:24 PM »
I agree Buckie, and unfortunately no known sitings of this gasser in oz
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »
As can be seen in the photos I have some large areas where the porcelain coating is gone from the outside of the bowl. I am considering doing the JB Weld High Heat Epoxy fix, but I'm not sure if it would look right with that large of a spot. The eye may overlook it with small spots, but I think the large area will still stand out albeit not as badly as the giant exposed spot of black metal.

Has anyone used the JB Weld High Heat Epoxy on large areas like the ones I have? Also, what is a good source for or place to look for spare parts on old kettles? I've inquired of Weber, but they couldn't find my serial number and asked for pics of the grill and S/N to try and help identify it.

EDIT: Not surprised, but here's Weber's response:
Quote from: Weber Customer Service
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, we no longer have any parts for that model grill. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you for choosing Weber.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:52:30 PM by AZRaptor »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 11:34:13 PM »
As can be seen in the photos I have some large areas where the porcelain coating is gone from the outside of the bowl. I am considering doing the JB Weld High Heat Epoxy fix, but I'm not sure if it would look right with that large of a spot. The eye may overlook it with small spots, but I think the large area will still stand out albeit not as badly as the giant exposed spot of black metal.

Has anyone used the JB Weld High Heat Epoxy on large areas like the ones I have? Also, what is a good source for or place to look for spare parts on old kettles? I've inquired of Weber, but they couldn't find my serial number and asked for pics of the grill and S/N to try and help identify it.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, we no longer have any parts for that model grill. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Is the bowl solid?  If it is if i remember right someone used high heat Caliper red paint, don't remember the out come, anyone remember who did this? @1buckie ?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart (RRR)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 05:37:40 AM »
wasn't there a video about this grill?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 05:42:19 AM »
wasn't there a video about this grill?

@zavod44

I added close ups of the seals on the plate. The one on the left is the US Safety Seal and the one on the right is for Canada.

1buckie, someone posted a link to this Youtube video on my thread in the Online Finds section. They show this model at the 1:33 time mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBrw27YAbb0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:45:46 AM by 1buckie »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 06:12:38 AM »

Hi Jeff,

Is the bowl solid?  If it is if i remember right someone used high heat Caliper red paint, don't remember the out come, anyone remember who did this? @1buckie ?

Look at Hank's Sequoia....this is the master thread, there's links to each part embedded in this :

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-sequoia-rebuild-master-thread/msg64984/#msg64984

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Re: Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart (RRR)
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
Thanks @1buckie

I've got VHT Caliper paint in red (outside) and black (inside) in my Amazon cart to order, just trying to decide if I want to give the JB Weld High Heat Epoxy a try to make a smooth surface before painting it. Joe F over at tvwbb had a fix he used it for on a WSM lid and it looks really good. My only concern is the JB Weld temp limit is 500 while the caliper paint is 900. Not sure if the paint will protect the epoxy or if the epoxy is going to undermind the paint. It is a gasser so I'm hoping the issues people see when they paint the charcoal kettles won't be as much a concern since the heat source isn't right up against the bowl. Well at least not quite as close I think. (Maybe in indirect mode).