Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How would you cook a 9.5lb beef shoulder roast?  (Read 5381 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
How would you cook a 9.5lb beef shoulder roast?
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:32:06 AM »
It must have been mis-marked at the grocery store, because it was only $3/lb.  And it's a nice square hunk of Choice chuck.  Initially I was thinking I'd use it to practice my brisket technique and smoke it, but then I was wondering if that would net a tough finished product.  Should I do Pepper Stout Beef with it instead?  Anyone have experience with big chuck roasts?
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How would you cook a 9.5lb beef shoulder roast?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:47:53 AM »
Is it chuck or clod?
They are sort of close.......

I'd do this to it:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/clod-ribs-zukes/msg90983/#msg90983

Punch garlic cloves all thru at different depths, inject w/ some creole butter or herb & garlic, etc. strained out if need be & make a long lazy cookup out of it.....pulled beef....

Or, you could pan & braize the last part of the cook like PSBeef.....or even cut it down, cook some, freeze some.....personally, I like cooking huge chunks of  meat that aren't supposed to even fit on a kettle.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »
It sounds to me like its shaped more similarly to a Boston butt (football or a big square) rather than a brisket (relatively flat). I don't know if it will be good brisket practice if that's the case.

What 1buckie says... Throw that sucker on there with some smoke and let it ride to 190-205 internal, or until you can twist a fork like spaghetti. I think you should be ok at 250 or even 275. That could take forever if you try to stay at 225 the whole time.

If you are worried about time when it hits 160 internal you can definitely throw it in a pan or DO with any of the following: beer, beef broth, Worcestershire, onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, red wine... Heck you could add in a couple cans of enchilada sauce. So many possibilities. It is definitely fun to cook a huge hunker, but keep in mind how many mouths you have helping you eat it. If you split it into smaller chunks you can make 2 or 3 variations... If it's a smaller crowd and you will have a bunch of leftovers some variety might be nice. Otherwise you have to (get to) eat 5 or 6 lbs of the same thing and that can get a little old.

The other thing is depending on how much bark you like... You'll have more with a couple smaller pieces rather than one large.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 05:31:09 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

@1buckie, I don't think it's a clod, but I'll know better when I unwrap it (it's in cryovac, so I'm in no hurry to break the seal and hasten the expiration date!).  I like the idea of stuffing it with some garlic and lettin' her ride...  My injector gave up the ghost on my last quad-butt cook, so maybe I should giddyup over to Amazon and get a new one. 

@austin87 I guess by 'brisket practice' I just meant keeping a fire going for longer than I would cooking pork butts... and you're right, I could treat it like a beef 'butt' and have some delicious sandwiches... or save myself the extra time and braise it toward the end.  Those are some really good options.  And good advice too to look for some folks to share with. 

Have I ever mentioned how much I love this place?  ;-)  It's so nice to tap into this brain-trust when I have a question.  Thank you, all.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »
Mike, the injectors come for free....strapped to the side of marinades....

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 06:05:08 PM »
^^^^That's the kinda supply I like @1buckie !!! I have never seen that stuff before but on my next trip down to see L.B. I am gonna be looking for it. Tell me a chain that carries it please.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »
My first two injectors came at an estate sale, right after I nabbed my first SS for $25.  I figured anyone with such a sweet grill would have some good stuff in the kitchen, so I swooped in there and grabbed his/her grilling-related gear.  They're both broke by now, but my wife's allergy to food preservatives will prevent me from using that canned butter, I'm afraid.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 03:29:45 AM »
I'd either cook it like a pork butt for pulled sammiches, or do pepper stout beef........just typing that makes my mouth water.  That PSB recipe knocked my socks off the first time I cooked it.  I've done it several times since then, and it has never disappointed.
-Keith

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 08:47:53 AM »
^^^^That's the kinda supply I like @1buckie !!! I have never seen that stuff before but on my next trip down to see L.B. I am gonna be looking for it. Tell me a chain that carries it please.

@MrHoss The stuff is available at a lot of regular groceries here....also larger sporting goods places, like the ones that have supplies for curing / smoking game meat.......
The website doesn't have a store locator like some do, just this statement:

"Today, Bruce Foods is one of America’s largest privately-owned food manufacturers with more than 1,200 employees, and four processing plants in the U.S. Our products are distributed throughout the U.S. and in more than 100 countries, and are carried by most of the top retail grocery chains worldwide so there’s bound to be one near you."

Check "ethnic" sections of groceries, the sport goods places, any specialties stores.....the wife found those at a way reduced price as they were rearranging shelf space or something....$2 a bottle or some crazy price.....

Honey Bacon BBQ, Jalepeno Butter, Creole Garlic are maybe the best ones....all are at least pretty good....

http://www.brucefoods.com/cajun-injector.html?p=1

@mike.stavlund  wonder if you could make up a simple injection with "steeped" fresh ingredients.....like simmered herbs, some type of oil, water & just strain.....that negates the "additives"
Might work if you'd like to go that way..... 8)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:56:12 AM by 1buckie »

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 10:41:59 AM »
Injectors attached, that was a great idea!

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 06:25:31 PM »
my wife's allergy to food preservatives will prevent me from using that canned butter, I'm afraid.

I made my own injection for the turkey last thanksgiving- melted a bunch of unsalted real butter and skimmed off the solids as best I could, then I added some 100% pure(no additive) apple juice and some Tony Chachere's salt free seasoning. it was OUTFRIGGINGSTANDING! not sure what all is in any of that that your wife may be allergic to, but I'm sure you could find some variation that you could use without triggering her allergies(for example-instead of using the tony's, do some internet research on Cajun spices and mix up your own that would leave out the preservatives).
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 08:14:03 PM »
Tonight is the night.  I prayed to the gods of BBQ, then put some stuff in a pot (water, salt, worchestershire(sp), peppercorns, wine, juniper berries, other forgotten herbs), trimmed off all the silverskin, injected the brine and plugged the holes with shards of garlic.  Fired up the WSM with some Kcomp and lump and oak, and settled in for a long night.  We shall see what comes. 

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 09:10:18 PM »
May your temps be steady and your bark thick.

Plated pic please..
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 03:43:23 AM »
So......did we have BBQ for breakfast?
-Keith

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 05:48:52 AM »
No breakfast; I am aiming it at dinner time. 

...and I also remembered what I forgot about 'brisket practice'-- I was wanting to experiment with wrapping in butcher paper after the bark is set, ala Aaron Franklin.  Unfortunately I didn't remember this until a good time after the bark was set, but it should still help to keep things moist.  It is currently making the slow climb through the 180s...