Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: what to restore  (Read 9224 times)

hawkendog

• Smokey Joe
what to restore
« on: May 16, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »
Been looken for a Genesis to restore. Would like a 3 burner. Is this a good grill to restore, there is only 2 of us except on holidays then up to 25. Would only use for fast cooks.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: what to restore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »
I restored an old Genesis and it is the perfect gasser. The three burner models are very versatile.   
I am not sure what year they switched,  but the models with five flavorizors are cheaper to buy parts for than the old ones with thirteen bars.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 06:32:46 PM »
The older genesis's are great grills. The older ones have a more robust tube frame that imo is superior to today's sheet metal frame. Here's some budgetary prices for commonly replaced parts so you have an idea of how deep you'll be in for.

Commonly replaced items are:

3 Burner tubes/ crossover tube assembly- $50
Crossburner tube alone- $10
Ignition switch- $15
Flavorizers- $40 but I would buy aftermarket Stainless ones.
Regulator/Hose- $25
Grates- $40-70 depending on type.
Tank- $20 exchange or $50 new with fill.
Cover- $40

Older Weber gassers can regularly be had for <$100 depending on where you are. Where are you located?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 09:06:49 PM »
I highly recommend waiting for a free one, and then waiting again for another free one (for parts).  The old 3-burner Genesis are great grills! 
One of the charcoal people.

hawkendog

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 02:18:47 AM »
Thank you all for the replies.
I am located about 100 miles west of Chicago

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
As PBE discussed, go with an earlier Genesis.  Basically, anything from a Genesis 1 to a Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum circa 2005.

Basic shape/design looks like this.

Agreeing with PBE again, from what I've seen, I'd be hesitant to restore anything later (like this):

I've seen a bunch of the later model Genesis grills that have rusted out cabinets and frames.   On the other hand, my 15+ year old Genesis Gold C has absolutely no rust on it and I rarely bother with a grill cover.   It's sat out in the elements for 15 years and you'd never know it.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 06:07:45 AM »

As PBE discussed, go with an earlier Genesis.  Basically, anything from a Genesis 1 to a Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum circa 2005.

Basic shape/design looks like this.

Agreeing with PBE again, from what I've seen, I'd be hesitant to restore anything later (like this):

I've seen a bunch of the later model Genesis grills that have rusted out cabinets and frames.   On the other hand, my 15+ year old Genesis Gold C has absolutely no rust on it and I rarely bother with a grill cover.   It's sat out in the elements for 15 years and you'd never know it.

Question what model is the red one? And is the model # on the end of grill by the controls? It seems my numbers are washed out.

Bought from Home Depot has cast cooking grates

Also has quick couple tank that will be converted to the standard fitting

Grates after over hour of cleaning with this

May call weber as it was registered 15-20 yrs ago

Thanks for looking

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:05:18 AM »
The redhead is a Genesis 1000. Great progress so far.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 07:12:33 AM »

The red one looks like a 1000/1100

With the CI grates, I'd say that yours is an 1100. My redhead was an 1100 for $30 that came with a full tank of gas.

I wanted a side burner and found a 3000 for $25. Swapped lids and added griddles, and it's now my readhead flattop. The old one was then donated to the team down south.

http://webergrillreview.com/genesis1000.html

Wasn't looking, but then found an '05 Silver B for $20 - couldn't pass that up. Weber replaced the cook box, so it was like a new grill.

Currently trying to restore a Summit Silver I picked up ($30) because I want the N/S burners. It will replace the Silver B.

In the past two years, in this area anyway, the deals don't seem to be as plentiful. These same Genesis grills now typically go for $100-200 it seems.

But with patience, I think deals can still be had, and the older Genesi' are great grills.

We were at Lowes this weekend, and of course I have to look at the grills. Admiring the new Summit, and knowing how much I like to cook outside, my wife says "why don't you get that one?".

At $2500+/- I think I'll wait a while     ;D

Dude, relax your chicken.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 08:45:32 AM »
It's definitely a Weber 1100 model.  Here's the parts schematic for it.

http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?model=211111

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »

It's definitely a Weber 1100 model.  Here's the parts schematic for it.

http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?model=211111

Thanks that 1100 was my best guess .

Thanks for confirmation

[emoji481]

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 05:51:05 AM »
The 1100 is a great grill! Mines 5 years post restore and shows no signs of letting up, I put $125 into a $25 CL purchase. Agreed on the freeby spare, I have a box of parts to replace if needed after tearing down a freeby junker.

WTB: Genesis Jr.