Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restore on a RedHead(Gasser)  (Read 4896 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Restore on a RedHead(Gasser)
« on: May 15, 2015, 04:29:37 AM »
Not much of a restore here, did a cleanup, disassemble, painted the box and put new cedar slats on it.

A lot of guys are exclusive kettle guys but in this day and age of 5 and 7 year life cycle crap, to have an 18 year old gasser that with care could go another 10, 20, 30? years amazes me

My '97 Genesis 2000

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Restore on a RedHead(Gasser)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 04:56:44 AM »
Looks sharp !!!!

And yes, perhaps many, many more years !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 05:09:38 AM »
Nice job!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:25:38 AM »
Beautiful work there!

We have a 2014 Genesis 310 at the fire station. It is a nice grill, but it can't touch my 1985 Genesis 2!
If you run across a set of CI grates from a Silver B-C, grab them. Unless your grill is in the elements, then CI would be a pain. I bought new flavorizors from rcplanebuyer and they are the bomb. I would definitely duy his SS grates too if I didn't have the CI.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 08:38:52 AM »
Iconic and beautiful. Great job there L.B..
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Big Dave

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 12:06:34 PM »
I'm new to this page.  This is my first post.  I love grilling.  Last spring I purchases my first Weber a EP 330, Great grill.  Best I've ever had.  Recently I have wanted to graduate to charcoal.  My wife has encouraged me and we are going tomorrow to pick up a second hand Performer deluxe.  Searching for the performer and running across this site and others I found several good deals, developed a hankering to rescue some older Webers.  Found (hope the picture comes through) this looking for a home and saved enough on the performer to pick this up too.  Just have to convince my better or sensible half.  How do I find out age, model etc.?  It would be and easy first restore.  Has new burners, flavorizer bars, and cooking grate.  I want to look for kettles too but this just caught me.  Cant wait to crank up the performer tomorrow evening.

'14 Genesis 330, '09 Performer Deluxe, 22" Kettle, 22" WSM, '97 900, '97 Genesis 3000

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 06:36:59 PM »
I'm new to this page.  This is my first post.  I love grilling.  Last spring I purchases my first Weber a EP 330, Great grill.  Best I've ever had.  Recently I have wanted to graduate to charcoal.  My wife has encouraged me and we are going tomorrow to pick up a second hand Performer deluxe.  Searching for the performer and running across this site and others I found several good deals, developed a hankering to rescue some older Webers.  Found (hope the picture comes through) this looking for a home and saved enough on the performer to pick this up too.  Just have to convince my better or sensible half.  How do I find out age, model etc.?  It would be and easy first restore.  Has new burners, flavorizer bars, and cooking grate.  I want to look for kettles too but this just caught me.  Cant wait to crank up the performer tomorrow evening.

To find the year you will have to remove the side burner, it is a sticker on the side of the knob control plate.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:34:33 AM »
I'm new to this page.  This is my first post.  I love grilling....

Hey neighbor. If that was on Craigslist I missed it. That right there is just about my ideal Weber gasser: red, wood, extended frame with side burner. Maybe some day I'll make one a priority.

The only thing I'm not thrilled with on most all of these however is the horizontal burners because with a rectangle box approachable from the front, my idea of indirect cooking is left-right, not back/front.

Welcome to the WKC.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
Oh boy!!! I was looking forward to tonight for some time now. @LightningBoldtz was kind enough to sell me this Genesis and I got to cook on it tonight. The plan was to do some frozen wings offset for 20 minutes followed by souvlaki and maple syrup soaked pineapple direct:

Was able to get the chicken almost done then ran out of gas....L.B. warned me it was low. So they were finished in the oven then I fired some charcoal to cook the rest on a Kettle.

L.B. did amazing job on the wood work...and is finishing the left flip up table to be picked up on my next visit down. Noticed tonight that there are open end caps on the right side and a corresponding hole where another flip up table could go. Does anyone have a Genesis like this one where a right flip up table exists? I am not sure if the propane tank would interfere with a flip table or not.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 07:04:44 PM »
Nice machine there!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
I don't think they ever did the double flip up thing on the wood or composite slat genesis.  They did the double flip up on the next version (what my dad and I call the new old style) with the solid composite grey tables.  The reason is that if you look at the grill, the bar that connects the front and back legs on the left hand side of the grill (where the flip up is) is how the flip up works in the wood version.  The table hangs from a bar connecting the frame to the tab hanging below the end cap on the side, and then also has a bar near the bottom of the table with a slider that goes along that front to back bar.  The notch at the front to back bar is where the slider slips into which locks the table in flip up mode.

On the newer composite ones, they redesigned it so that the edge of the table has a metal knobby disc that slides into a little bracket to lock it into place.

If you had an extra front to back bar/bracket to bolt in, and made sure that your propane hose didn't get in the way, I'm reasonably sure you could frankenstein something up.  But I don't think one ever came from the factory like that (although I do learn something new about Webers seemingly daily)