Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wings n corn  (Read 3632 times)

Sauce

• Smokey Joe
Wings n corn
« on: May 09, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
Couple pounds of drumettes. I've been seeing "The BBQ Rub." by Killer Hogs BBQ and had to try it. Got it from Amazon, and it's good. Sauce is a local here in NC.

1 chimney in the performer.

Hooked on grilled corn now. Used to just steam it.

Dogs for the kids and wings sauced up. No plate pic, just ate em.

Sauce
'07 WSM 18.5", '15 Blue Performer Deluxe, '07 Genesis E-310 gasser, Jumbo Joe, Go Anywhere charcoal.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Wings n corn
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 01:36:46 PM »
A little char on corn & dawgs & wings.......time to lite a kettle....you got me hungry !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
"Used to just steam it" - oh man, you are ruined now. Grilled corn is probably in my top 20 all time foods. Wings look perfect, and sharp looking Performer.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »
"Used to just steam it" - oh man, you are ruined now. Grilled corn is probably in my top 20 all time foods. Wings look perfect, and sharp looking Performer.

[flamesuiton] I prefer my corn boiled for a few hours in a stock pot w/a generous dose of butter and Cajun seasoning(most often it's toney chacherie's)[/flamesuit]
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 12:09:57 AM »

[flamesuiton] I prefer my corn boiled for a few hours in a stock pot w/a generous dose of butter and Cajun seasoning(most often it's toney chacherie's)[/flamesuit]
I like boiled corn too. ... but a few hours? !?!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 03:22:11 AM »
When I've done corn, I soak the ears in water, peel back the husks, remove as much of the silk as I can, cover the ears back in the husks and put them on the grill...never really thought about throwing them on there commando.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 05:52:41 AM »
I can't say I have a favorite corn, they are all good. Gun to the head I guess I'd go with Mexican corn (slathered in mayonnaise, sprinkled with spicy seasoning and cotija cheese).

Great looking wings by the way, that's an exact meal you'd find at my place.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 06:45:54 AM »
When I've done corn, I soak the ears in water, peel back the husks, remove as much of the silk as I can, cover the ears back in the husks and put them on the grill...never really thought about throwing them on there commando.

@chuck s showed me that. And you get an already-installed handle, too!

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 06:52:30 AM »
I can't say I have a favorite corn, they are all good. Gun to the head I guess I'd go with Mexican corn (slathered in mayonnaise, sprinkled with spicy seasoning and cotija cheese).

QFT

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »
Wings look great, that Jim's Own Sauce is my in laws favorite too. Even when they have mine they never stop talking about how much they like "Jim's"

Sauce

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 07:47:55 AM »
Many ways to cook it. I've tried it this way also, and it's good. Just like other foods, char is flavor, shucking them, apply a little spray oil and right on the grill is great.

I was raised in Los Angeles, and I used to get elotes (Mexican corn just like you described) from the push cart vendors in the neighborhood. So good. I did elotes with grilled corn for the first time at home, and it was outstanding!
Wings look great, that Jim's Own Sauce is my in laws favorite too. Even when they have mine they never stop talking about how much they like "Jim's"
Have you tried Jim's Own "Smokey" version? Even better IMHO. Has a little more kick to it.

Sauce
'07 WSM 18.5", '15 Blue Performer Deluxe, '07 Genesis E-310 gasser, Jumbo Joe, Go Anywhere charcoal.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 07:58:39 AM »
I like boiled corn too. ... but a few hours? !?!

yes, usually more like two or so and I'm not talking about a rolling boil, just hot enough that small bubble start to form in the water. really does a trick on the kernals, some almost feel like they're bursting in your mouth when you take a bite.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
I love Mexican corn but we usually just shuck the corn and throw it on the grill. You get a nice smokey flavor.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
The best way to do corn is steamed. Seasoned with Old Bay and blue crab keeping the ears from touching during cooking.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.