Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling fish  (Read 6634 times)

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Grilling fish
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
Not really into resolutions but I am planning on spending more time with the young ones fishing this next year, we've already started fixing up the old stump jumper. So with more time spent fishing hopefully we will have more fish to cook. Frying is good but grilling is more fun and better for us.
     So how do y'all  grill them, on the grates straight, big fish turner spatulas, on mesh or vented pans, in the Weber fish baskets? Just curious what y'all are doing, I'm really looking hard at those Weber baskets and may give them a try.

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Grilling fish
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
What kind of fish? Fish is my favorite thing to cook. I find a good cheap light thin long pair of tongs from walmart work great. I have a weber set that works pretty nice too. I grab them long ways and turn.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:12 PM »
I grill a lot of fish. Some times I use my Lodge Sportsman's grill which has a CI grate with close spaced bars. I also have a CI grate that I can put on a kettle. It also has close spacing which works fairly well with fish. I oil it and the fish. I also have the Weber fish basket. It works well but is a little trouble to clean.

If the fish are small (my fishing buddy insists on filleting bluegills) then it is hard to beat a CI pan.
kettles, smokers...

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »
Filleted bluegill is exactly what I'm thinking about

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56:19 AM »
For salmon and other ocean going (barracuda, sea bass ("Kick his @$$ Sea Bass  ;D ;D ;D) fish I usually oil the fish, grill it right on the grill flesh side down first, then skin side. I can usually get the fish off the grill with the skin left behind on the grill. I clean that off by removing the grate and using a wire brush. This doesn't work so well with the lake fish in MN (walleye, northerns, etc), so I try to get a quick sear on both sides, then lay foil down on the grate and finish it off.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »

I usually foil fresh fish(Northern mostly). Melt some butter and poor over fresh fish. Add some sliced onion and fresh peppers, little granulated garlic and some lemon pepper. Steam in the foil packet for a while( I would do multiple) then open up to steam off some the moisture and will also firm the fish up a little.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 07:18:45 AM »
I would to do some trout on the smokey joe.

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
Love doing snapper.  I use a fish basket, stuff the inside with diced tomatos onions and peppers.  Good stuff! 

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:10:46 AM »

I usually foil fresh fish(Northern mostly).

For filleted bluegill I'd go with a cast iron fry pan. They're just so delicate. A basket would probably work but they might even fall apart in that.

I pickle pike. The vinegar dissolves those pesky bones. I've got a quart left from our November trip. Kept one to try it out and it made 2 1/2 quarts.
kettles, smokers...

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »

I usually foil fresh fish(Northern mostly).

For filleted bluegill I'd go with a cast iron fry pan. They're just so delicate. A basket would probably work but they might even fall apart in that.

I pickle pike. The vinegar dissolves those pesky bones. I've got a quart left from our November trip. Kept one to try it out and it made 2 1/2 quarts.

Hank is correct on the delicate. Panfish are sure good battered, lemon peppered up after coming out of the hot oil fry pan.
Learned "Y" bone removal in Canada from an old timer, no bones...

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 03:29:40 PM »

Salmon by FinkFarm, on Flickr

This is how I did some Salmon.  Just throw it on the grill with a little seasoning.  Used the biggest spatula I had to flip it.  You can see some of it separated, but it mostly stayed together.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »
Sweet looking fish and veggies Fink!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »
Found this method on Flickr. Very primal!

fishspoon

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 12:57:46 AM »
For Brook Trout
 i stuff the cavity with slices of lemon and basil,
Then wrap in foil, add butter before sealing

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 05:18:35 AM »
Found this method on Flickr. Very primal!

Marty, that's fairly primal, but kinda home depot-like w/ the finished wood.....if you want to go all-primal, use willow twigs / branches like my grandpa taught us

Those planks, cedars, turn out a great piece of fish, but are stupid expensive................

Don't have any photos as this was years ago & very full of beers, but I used to do large salmon,
like 20#, head off, tail on, split down next to the spine, but not cut all the way thru, load on said Weber, add lemon juice ( puckers the fish & helps keep it together ), creamy Italian dressing & thawed, frozen strawberries...........crazy & good..............

Even flipped one, one time, covered yhe whole grate, all the way across...............

I know it's a fish story, but I actually did this stuff....................

For Brook Trout
 i stuff the cavity with slices of lemon and basil,
Then wrap in foil, add butter before sealing

^^^ That's really good done that way....thanks for puttin' that one up !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"