Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mini WSM lid fit  (Read 8760 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Mini WSM lid fit
« on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
I am in the process of building my mini WSM. I got the IMUSA 32 quart steamer pot for Christmas, it the one made in China like everyone says to get, as opposed to made in Columbia ones. The lid just did not fit, it sat right on top of the lip. I did the Vice grip method, with a towl to bend the lip down, still didnt fit right. I finally just bent the lip frame upwords and now the lid finally fits fairly tight, but now its all boogered up and chewed looking around the edges. My question is does anyone recommend hacksawing the lip off, or keep it as is? Will gunk buildup from smoking hide the crappy rim? I was really disappointed about the initial fit. Heres some pics

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: Mini WSM lid fit
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »
Bummer, sorry to see you had to do the crimp! My experience has been only the Vasconia pot fits correctly; bowl and lid. It seems like a roll of the dice with IMUSA, so I gave up on them. Vasconia is very consistent, I purchased at least ten pots from them since June 2012, and all have fit just right. Tell you what though, I see you have a red SJ there, I'd trade you TWO genuine Vasconia pots AND a Tru-Tell #BBQ225 Thermometer for it...plus a genuine Brian wood handle: dayamm :o

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:52:04 PM »

Congradulations !!!

That's my kind of foul ball ( meaning it's how things I do turn out quite often ! )

If you don't take Chad up on that trade, I would def. grid or cut & file the edge.....

The next mistake I would make is to cut myself on the rough edges !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 07:58:18 PM »
I bought a pot for $17 at the mercado last christmas and it was tight, so I took a pliers to it and flattened it down a little. It fits and works well, but not as nice as a vasconia. :(

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »
for mine and hogsys we used the vasconia
just bite the bullet and get a vasconia
its the only one that fits
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

ROB_STANG2000

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:08:50 AM »
cut it! you have nothing to lose at this point, and if you don’t like it then buy a different pot.
Proud owner of a Lime Green22.5, Red 22.5 silver, Black 22.5 Silver 18.5 custom , two smoky Joes witch one has been converted to a custom smoker,  a Weber Summit Silver, and a UDS.

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:33:34 AM »
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 05:27:56 AM »
How do the grates fit the Vasconia? They are a tight fit in the Imusa.
kettles, smokers...

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 06:34:20 AM »
How do the grates fit the Vasconia? They are a tight fit in the Imusa.

When the pot and grate are hot, the handles rivets can make removing the bottom and top great frustrating, but not impossible. I'm toying with the idea of filing down those rivets a bit. But not so much that the handles are compromised.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:38 AM »
When the pot and grate are hot, the handles rivets can make removing the bottom and top great frustrating, but not impossible. I'm toying with the idea of filing down those rivets a bit. But not so much that the handles are compromised.
I had to do something with a couple grates on some of the minis I put together. Rather than mess with the pot, I cut a bit out of the edge of the grate - about 1/4" and had my son weld them back together. He has a gas welder that is ideal for that sort of thing. I really need me one of those.  ;)

As smoke builds up on the inside of the pot, the grates on mine are getting tighter.
kettles, smokers...

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 10:35:45 AM »
I had to do something with a couple grates on some of the minis I put together. Rather than mess with the pot, I cut a bit out of the edge of the grate - about 1/4" and had my son weld them back together. He has a gas welder that is ideal for that sort of thing. I really need me one of those.  ;)

As smoke builds up on the inside of the pot, the grates on mine are getting tighter.

Moding the grate isn't a bad idea either. the bottom grate is always tougher to remove because of the three bolts, handle rivets, and thermometer stem. A precise cut and weld would do the trick nicely.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51:55 AM »
I wish someone would come out with a perfect tube that fith the lid and snug in the bottom. Then we could just add the handls and other components as we want.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
I wish someone would come out with a perfect tube that fith the lid and snug in the bottom. Then we could just add the handls and other components as we want.
Cajun Bandit was testing one but I don't see it for sale on their site.

If we're going to wish, I'd wish that Weber would just bring back the small version of the WSM they made years ago. (In RED!)
kettles, smokers...

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »
Cajun Bandit was testing one but I don't see it for sale on their site.

If we're going to wish, I'd wish that Weber would just bring back the small version of the WSM they made years ago. (In RED!)

I'm not sure how popular the "mini" wsm is, but sales for Vasconia pots is probably at an all time high and peaking during the summer. Whatever those numbers are, I hope Weber is paying attention to them, the numbers might be a good reason to bring the 1880 back! Though I suppose the price of an 1880 vs. a tamale pot modification would still be pretty wide.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 12:45:48 PM »
If they ever did bring back the 1880, I bet it would be around $250.