Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The 18" Outrider is a Great Cooker  (Read 6402 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The 18" Outrider is a Great Cooker
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 07:35:52 PM »
What a great write-up !!!!!

You way got the hang of that rig......I'd be nervous cooking in that close of quarters, but you make it look easy !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: The 18" Outrider is a Great Cooker
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »
Mac - I am with you, the Outrider (AKA Jumbo Joe, AKA SJ Platinum) is one of Weber's best.  I used both the 14 and 18" versions as the basis for the two smokers I use most:

Because of the solid bottom and vents placed on the sides, the Outrider is a very safe kettle to use (very little chance of hot ash falling out) and provides great airflow for low and slow.  The Outrider is an ultra portable kettle that can do both hot and fast or, as your cooks prove, be used as a low and slow smoker.  It is one of my favorite Weber models.

I really enjoyed your two write ups and have been salivating over the food.  Very innovative use of foil for both the bowl as well as directing air from the vents.  Keep those cooks coming!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Did up a Brisket this Time
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »

I wanted to try a brisket to trial using this cooker and method ….

Picked up this whole brisket at Costco.  The label has "whole" on it, but the point is about the size of a pancake …  ???

Not much fat to trim. 
Brisket was just over 8 lbs before applying a Worcestershire slather, then SPG at a 3:3:1 ratio (based on volume not weight).

Going on after a pre-heat.  Used hickory for smoke.

It settled into the range of 275-300℉.
After 2.5 hours or so, I checked the IT and got a reading around 160℉.  I decided to double-wrap in HD foil.

After just over 6 hours, I removed it.  I had over-shot my IT and was getting readings around 210℉ ….  :-\
Into a cooler wrapped in towels to rest.  Took it out after about 1.5 hours to slice for supper.

There was not a pronounced smoke ring, but I have found with hot and fast, that there tends to be less of one.
And, yes, I do understand that there will be no smoke ring when wrapped in foil ….  ::) :P

Not a big deal, as the brisket was delicious!

I do not intend on cooking brisket this way all the time.  I do prefer it done a little slower …
However, it is nice to know that I can haul this Outrider wherever and cook-up tasty food other than burgers and dogs.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.