Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up a new Redhead to rescue  (Read 4178 times)

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Picked up a new Redhead to rescue
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »
Got nervous when I saw some other grills from my craigslist get posted while I tried to arrange pickup for this one put ended up with no issues.  The ad text was pretty honest, stating "The Weber needs some cleaning / scraping to get it usable." This small picture of it assembled is what was posted in the ad. 

I responded shortly after it went up, and seller wasn't available to pickup until this afternoon.  Many of you know the cold fear of a score that you can't pickup for another day.

It was only about 20 minutes away, so I headed over this afternoon. He wasn't kidding. Major porcelain loss around the handle welds and one rim of the lid has lid rash where it looks like it was frequently put down on cement or asphalt, to the point where the metal is rippled and no longer a nice straight round edge. 

The bowl is missing about a baseball sized section near one of the handles, but other than a couple other small missing porcelain nicks, is in pretty good shape and the leg sockets and welds are in very good shape. 

The one touch system is shot and needs to be replaced (if anybody has the part number handy I'd appreciate it-I hope this isn't the discontinued one), and the ashpan is wobbly and a bit misshapen but it was there.  The grates are in pretty good shape. Charcoal has started to have some thinning and minor bending, but should work fine for at least a few years to come, and the cooking grate had a little surface rust but I think will clean up well.

Something about it spoke to me though (and I was there), and even though I hemmed and hawed a little bit, I asked if he could knock $5 bucks off his price.  He said sure and I paid him and put it in the trunk. 

$10, with two unopened bags of Kingsford blue and an off brand chimney. The bags are the small 8.6 ones but those are perfect to take to a tailgate, and the chimney is going to just join the dedicated tailgate package (I have 3 Weber chimneys for home).

I'm going to clean it up, but even clean, it'll be a cooker not a looker.  It's my 4th redhead (2 18s and 2 22s-don't tell the GF!) and the one in the worst shape, but something about that is liberating.  I'm not going to care if I do pizzas in it or bang it around some because I really feel like I rescued it and am going to return it to service (the neighborhood it came out of and the way it was on the curb, I think it might have been destined for a scrapper if I or somebody else hadn't bought it within the next few days).  In my view, even if it picks up some crazing or a few other dings, it won't be any worse than how it has lived its first 28 or so years (pretty sure it's a J code). I've got a disassembled performer that needs some help (lid bale rotted and pulled a hole through the bowl and one of the lid straps rotted off) that I might try taking the ash catcher off of for this.

The really funny thing? My dad in his retirement does some gasser flipping to stay busy and we picked up a 2 burner on Monday from the redhead's next door neighbor!  Literally! I wonder if neighbor 1 told neighbor 2 that he sold his grill on craigslist and that prompted that listing! As we followed the GPS I thought we were going to be seeing the same guy!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Picked up a new Redhead to rescue
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »
Rescue Restore Respect  :) 8)  That is a great score and yes some "speak" to you, glad you could rescue her!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Picked up a new Redhead to rescue
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:29:27 PM »
Great grill,  rescue and story !   Can't wait to see it all cleaned up and cooking again !

" Esto Perpertua "
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
That one took the old 7419 sweep which is discontinued but you can use the newer 7444 system without a problem.

Nice save....there are lots of cooks in its future for sure.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
Yeah, any sweep's fine on a Silver......nice pickup.....I just hate to see these things go to the dump if somebody doesn't step up.....I have 3 or 4 just like that.....

"Everybody Knows Food Tastes Better Cooked On A Redhead"
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
cool find post picks when you get her all cleaned up
BBQ to live live to BBQ

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »
The beaters are my favorite, just so much character. It's like rescuing an abused dog, they might look a little bit rougher, but their gonna love so much more because of where they've come from.

May you get years of love from this one!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »
"The hot dogs aren't going to care" a line from a CL ad  ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »
Nice machine and yea I totally understand why you got it!

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7444-2-Inch-One-Touch-Cleaning/dp/B005LVAZ3A

It'll help to have a 3rd hand push the new setup together. Might need a Dremel or whatever to cut the old nut off if it's stuck.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »
I saw that post yesterday. cost of two bags of charcoal cover the cost. Like getting the kettle for free. That is a drive for me from providence. Hope it cleans up good for ya.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »
As has been said, that's a 7409 sweep but can easily be replaced with a newer one.  I just cut the handle off flush on both sides with a hacksaw and give it a tap to send the nut through. 

Congrats!
One of the charcoal people.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 04:51:45 PM »
Got a couple Reds similar to that one. Ones a PP that is fire engine red and the other is a MT that is so faded it is pink until the heat hits....then she gets RED. I love both those cooks more than the new Crimson or Copper I have. If I had to sell one of my cookers it sure wouldn't be either of those Reds.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
Thats a way cool fixer-uper, youll get years of life from it.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 04:34:27 PM »
Congratulations! That's how it's done. Another cooker rescued from certain doom! Clean her up and cook on her proudly! '87 was a good year!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »
Kingsford Charcoal $10 - Comes with FREE REDHEAD!

Great pickup and story!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E