Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS non gas caster mod  (Read 3025 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
SS non gas caster mod
« on: April 18, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »
I got this idea from this thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-2%27-non-locking-replacement-wheels-with-ball-bearings/
I want to convert my SS non gas cart to use the 2" caster in the thread above, i realize the non gas legs are longer than the caster SS performer i think i have that covered with an 8" wheel.

I would need the leg inserts for the casters to snap into but i don't want to commit unless i know this will work( i think it will) i need to know if i'm all wet on this idea. Thanks
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: SS non gas caster mod
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 06:43:21 PM »
With an 8" wheel (are the other ones 6"?) it should work out just right.....Lawrence, most likely would be the one to know.....he's done custom wheels & leveling / measuring before.....
@pbe gummi bear

Another thought real quick.....don't you need off-road casters where you're at?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 06:53:47 PM »
With an 8" wheel (are the other ones 6"?) it should work out just right.....Lawrence, most likely would be the one to know.....he's done custom wheels & leveling / measuring before.....
@pbe gummi bear

Another thought real quick.....don't you need off-road casters where you're at?
;D The casters in that thread i linked to will work well, plus with the 8" wheel it's like putting a lift kit on my cart!  ;D ;D 8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 10:19:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure the weber casters come with that insert. Buying the casters should be similar price to having someone ship you a used set. Amazon has them for $6: www.amazon.com/Weber-6414-Caster-Includes-Insert/dp/B000WEKMRU

The performers already have an 8" wheel so you will need a 10" wheel to raise it one inch. I've mixed up the radius/diameter measurement before and needed to find replacement legs for my frame after cutting the legs too short by 1".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:24:22 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 06:38:54 AM »
Glad those seem to be a workable solution for you Ron. I do like mine.

And if anyone runs across a better 2" locking wheel please let me know; I've got to replace the wheels on my dad's Performer and we grill on a little bit of a slope at his place. Maybe we just need wheel chucks ;)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:28:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure the weber casters come with that insert. Buying the casters should be similar price to having someone ship you a used set. Amazon has them for $6: www.amazon.com/Weber-6414-Caster-Includes-Insert/dp/B000WEKMRU

The performers already have an 8" wheel so you will need a 10" wheel to raise it one inch. I've mixed up the radius/diameter measurement before and needed to find replacement legs for my frame after cutting the legs too short by 1".
:o ah yes you are correct they are 8" and i do have a 10" set. I bought a 2" caster set at Lowes now i need the inserts for them to go in @pbe gummi bear
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:36:47 AM by 1911Ron »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »
Sounds like a plan. Please take pics and share your process with us
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »
Will do!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »

Just a suggestion on a band aid fix on short legs

I havent measured wheel inserts..but just conceptualizing.

If the inserts are longer 2 inches..or you can buy  1 1/4 inch tubing...cut the one inch size and then ise inserts to provide internal support...probablynwould not provide a lot of sheer strength...probably wweak solution.

2nd option..cut leg shorter...and buy tubing...cut the replacement tubing to ample length so you can insert star nuts in both the short legs...and the cut to fit replacement tubing..then fasten together with 3inch 1/4 20  hex head bolt..you can drop a few star nuts into each segment to increase sheer strength....you would want to position  the star nut to provide enough clearance for the wheel insert.

Again..not tremendous sheer strength but better than option 1. And probably good enough for standard handling.

Installing 2 star nuts into each section of tubing close tobeach other for total of 4 star nuts will increase sheer strength.

You can bondo the joint and then sand to flush fill...

This is a lot easier to sketch than describe via writing

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:46:17 PM by toolhead »
Grills