Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: indirect cooking - low medium high  (Read 6956 times)

jd

• WKC Brave
Re: indirect cooking - low medium high
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 07:11:56 AM »
Troy, the method you explained works out really good tried the medium heat method, worked out great thanks, jd
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 07:50:11 AM »
Troy, the method you explained works out really good tried the medium heat method, worked out great thanks, jd

Trot the method you explained works out really good tried the medium heat method worked out great thanks, jd

@jd   Get him with one of these:

@Troy

That notifies someone that you're relating to something they've said or suggested in a (this) thread.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
Yup, more fuel.  (Or better fuel)

First time charcoal users.. so bear with me. Using Kingsford in the blue bag.

Filled the chimney almost full and let them get hot.. then poured into the 2 coal cage deals.. it wouldnt go above 400..

Bottom vent was full open, top was full open.

I was puzzled.
Define hot.
If the top coals are completely ashed over, you've waited too long. Pour your chimney when the top coals are just starting to ash.

And @cashishift you might need to also define "400."

If using a lid thermometer, those bimetal dial thermos will register low as they age. Removing them and inserting the tip into boiling water will tell PART of the story. If it reads 212 it'll probably not be far off at higher temps. But if with just boiling water it never rises above 180-190 it'll be hugely off at higher temps.

For example, two char baskets of lump in the middle (so, right under a central thermometer) will swing the dial around nearly all the way. Guessing about 700 here?

The plastic lid handle wasn't a sufficient insulator for lifting on that day!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »
@1buckie thank you for,letting me know about that and this is a really good site everyone is always so  helpful thanks jd
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »
(Y. B. C.)

You Bet Cha !!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 08:34:11 AM »
Glad everything worked out for you @jd !

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »
one thing I think we should also mention is using a way to direct air flow

On some cooks I like to put foil over the parts of the cooking grates that do not have coal/baskets over them, and sometimes I cover the side vents on the baskets. it is all about experimenting for cooking that item.
Such as beer can chicken, I cover the bottom and have 2 baskets half full so I get 350 degrees, I also block the inside vents of the baskets as the chicken is sitting between the baskets. I am trying to direct airflow.
And as we know, we want airflow going to benefit an even cook.

Maybe I am a bit anal, but I keep notes, I count coals, I try to figure out how to improve a cook.
Yes that means that I do better on some cooks than others, but I can always pull out my best method to show off my grilling.

Part of being a grillfella is striving for the best.

Have fun
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »
one thing I think we should also mention is using a way to direct air flow

On some cooks I like to put foil over the parts of the cooking grates that do not have coal/baskets over them, and sometimes I cover the side vents on the baskets. it is all about experimenting for cooking that item.
Such as beer can chicken, I cover the bottom and have 2 baskets half full so I get 350 degrees, I also block the inside vents of the baskets as the chicken is sitting between the baskets. I am trying to direct airflow.
And as we know, we want airflow going to benefit an even cook.

Maybe I am a bit anal, but I keep notes, I count coals, I try to figure out how to improve a cook.
Yes that means that I do better on some cooks than others, but I can always pull out my best method to show off my grilling.

Part of being a grillfella is striving for the best.

Have fun

Yeah, somewhere there's pictures of those kinds of setups....I'll dig around..... 8)