Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time baby backs .....  (Read 2162 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
First time baby backs .....
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
My husband requested ribs for CHRISTmas.  I got to the store late...(ummmm 630pm on the 24th, they were closing at 7pm!).    And all they had were two racks of baby backs.  They were pricey...5 a lb.  and big....almost 5 lbs each.   But I grabbed them both and then spied another rack that was store packaged and cut into thirds.   I grabbed them as well. 

I had never made bb before....and didn't have much time to research.  So read up on the BRITU quickly and did a sort of 3-2-1 .....but with shorter times more like 2-1-1.   My therm got misplaced in the move, but it felt like higher than 250.....but could still touch the lid without burning my fingers.   I Used the charcoal baskets because temps tend to be and stay lower with them. 

The ribs with membrane removed and little bits trimmed off.  Are baby backs always this big and meaty?

My assistant slathering on the mustard. 

My own personal superhero!   He loved his Thor helmet that Santa left on the tree in his room.

Ready to go.....All had a mustard base.  Top ones in thirds just regular Morton's season-all,  for the lil ones.  Second ones Applewood rub....and third the hubs requested just fancy salt and pepper.

I probably need a rib rack. 

About two hours later.....

Foiled....I put some cold cut butter on the foil then laid them meat side down, with some more butter on top. 

I didnt get a picture of them after the foiling,  but they were already falling apart tender.  I carefully put them back on to firm up a bit.  Hubs wanted his quickly so his didn't stay on very long, maybe twenty minutes.

I wanted to see how much they would firm up so I left the others on about 45 minutes or so.  Better, but still way too tender for my preference.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:00:59 PM by Cookingmama »
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Duke

• The Duke
Re: First time baby backs .....
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:44:30 AM »
Awesome job on those ribs CM!  :o  I am sure your beautiful family was very pleased with the results. It looks like you all had a wonderful Christmas as well. Please keep on sharing your cooks, oh and the butter is a must try on my next rack.

Have a Happy New Year! :)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:18:22 PM by Duke »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
Looks good from here :)   And it looks like you have some good helpers also!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »
Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep.............

You were right to put this in "Food Pron"
Those look great !!!!

Interesting you did those in the middle with coals on both sides, I'd usually go coals one one side & fill tthe rest of the  grate w/ the goods, but it doesn't seem like it mattered.....
Did I metion those look tremendous !!!

Those are extra big, a true 'baby back' is less than 2-1/4# I think, like the scrawny ones ya get at some restaurants; I like these jumbo ones like you got, personally......

Wonderful family & pitchin' in to help is a great plus also !!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:09:47 PM »
Looks pretty darn good from where I sit!  ;) I'm gonna have to try these. I love ribs!!!!

Craig

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
Thanks guys!   

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 06:06:10 PM »
Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep.............

You were right to put this in "Food Pron"
Those look great !!!!

Interesting you did those in the middle with coals on both sides, I'd usually go coals one one side & fill tthe rest of the  grate w/ the goods, but it doesn't seem like it mattered.....
Did I metion those look tremendous !!!

Those are extra big, a true 'baby back' is less than 2-1/4# I think, like the scrawny ones ya get at some restaurants; I like these jumbo ones like you got, personally......

Wonderful family & pitchin' in to help is a great plus also !!!!

Well, with the coals on the sides I don't have to rotate.....just flipped them once.   If I had banked to one side then I have to rotate and doneness differs.

I thought these were kind of big.  But I think I like spares better.

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:34:14 PM »
Ok only my thoughts but...the 3,2,1, works ok for spares but when it come to bb I like them a little firmer.  I'll just cook them strait up, Although I have put a aluminum foil pan on the coal grate under the ribs and then put a aluminum foil tent over them smaller than the pan so as the drippings off the foil go into the pan as well as the rib juice and sometimes I will also put apple juice in the drip pan and add a couple of apple wood chunks for a little smoke. Call me crazy but it floats my boat! ;D
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.