Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What kind of rotisserie to fit a turkey with plenty of clearance?  (Read 5850 times)

BrendonTW

• Happy Cooker
Hey folks. I smoked a few chickens on my kettle last week and they turned out incredible. I think I'd like to do a turkey for Christmas but I'm wanting to buy a rotisserie for the things. Trying to choose between the Cajun bandit and the weber rotisserie.

Things to consider:

I'd like to fit a decent sized turkey on the thing with a fair amount of space between the bird and the lid.

I like to be able to put racks on the rotisserie eventually for ribs and such. Something like the rib-o-lator. I don't know if this is only compatible with the Cajun bandit though.

Don't care if it's battery vs corded.

I like the idea of keeping the regular cooking grate on the kettle but maybe I'm dreaming there, space-wise.

Are there any products or combinations of products that I could use to meet these considerations?

Troy

• Statesman
Re: What kind of rotisserie to fit a turkey with plenty of clearance?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »
i don't have any experience with the new/current model of rotisserie from Weber, but I can tell you the older one sucked.
It had some pretty big gaps, which made controlling temps incredibly difficult.

the cajun bandit ring is fantastic. it fits perfect and it looks GREAT on any grill.

both will be compatible with the rib-o-lator :)

BrendonTW

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
Thanks a bunch. I've heard the redesigned weber rotisserie is much better but have no experience. Would I be able to fit a decently sized bird on the thing with the Cajun Bandit? And would I have to remove the cooking grate to do so?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »
All the ones that I've got have plenty of clearance and you shouldn't have to worry about any of them. One Grill, Char-Broil, Perfect Flame and Weber are some, the spit forks are the only difference and the only one I had to mod was a Jenn-Aire Kebab accessory which had a smaller dia. rod and motor. The one that comes with the 26.75" Cajun Bandit ring is a hefty sized hex rod with tapered ends to fit common motors.

I haven't seen the new Weber ring out of the box, but from the pics it looks like it now rests over the bowl, not sure if its reversible to fit the WSM like the Cajun Bandit?

If you can keep an eye on fleabay and pick up an 8'' EZ Que cradle, it easily holds a 14lb bird.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:25:17 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

BrendonTW

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:57:09 PM »
I'll have to see if I can find one. I'm leaning towards the Cajun Bandit, but I just want to make sure it will fit the bird under the lid with enough clearance.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »
I have the cajun bandit roti for my 26.  Hasn't used it yet because I just got it about 2 weeks ago. Looks great and is heavy duty.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 04:29:21 PM »
First of sorry for the upside pics, I tried to flip them and everything, but no dice...sorry.

We'll my wonderful wife just surprised me with a rotisserie for birthday last month, and I've got to say I love it. I guess it's a new one because I find that it fits well. It's got a little lip that slips into the kettle and mine is tight (see close up picture).

It doesn't really work on the WSM to well though. It will sit onto the body fine, but the lid of the WSM has to just rest on the top of the ring. It would work, you would just have to be careful not to bump the lid and knock it off.

I plan on doing some chickens this weekend, so I'll get some better pics when I've got more light. I think the weber one would fit a turkey, you would have to probably take out the grate, and the motor is supposed to be able to carry 20 pounds.

Which ever way you go I'm sure you'll love it!

BrendonTW

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 04:50:52 PM »
That's the Weber rotisserie, right?

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 05:00:54 PM »
Yeah that's the weber one. I think the Cajun bandits are stainless steel.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »
Just noticed the 26.75" Cajun Bandit ring has sold out.

Here is a better pic of the redesigned Weber ring:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?56383-Got-me-a-rotisserie&p=624384&viewfull=1#post624384

Figured as much that Weber would not make it reversible to fit the 22" WSM.

I wouldn't put off getting any Cajun Bandit accessories if you are on the fence. Best out there!

Consider a Stacker and mod it as a rotis ring if you want more height

Before Cajun Bandit came out with their ring to fit the WSM/kettle, I modified an out of round center section into a dedicated bullet rotisserie.

get spinnin'!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:13:18 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

KevinT

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
I have done 14-18lb birds on a 22 with the CB roti with no problem.

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »
Here's a 24 lb bird spinning on a Cajan Bandit. No problems with room and the motor did ok with it. The motor is rated for 25 lbs.

Bill    Looking for a Yellow

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
14#er on a 5year old Roti.  No clearance issues at all.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

BrendonTW

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 07:29:21 PM »

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?56383-Got-me-a-rotisserie&p=624384&viewfull=1#post624384

I wouldn't put off getting any Cajun Bandit accessories if you are on the fence. Best out there!

Before Cajun Bandit came out with their ring to fit the WSM/kettle, I modified an out of round center section into a dedicated bullet rotisserie.

get spinnin'!

By mod it as a rotisserie do you mean add the rotisserie addon to the top of the stacker, or actually cut the stacker so that the rotisserie will sit into it?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »

get spinnin'!

By mod it as a rotisserie do you mean add the rotisserie addon to the top of the stacker, or actually cut the stacker so that the rotisserie will sit into it?

I wanted to show you the Stacker with and without the Cajun Bandit (or for that matter you could even use a Weber or EZ Que) rotisserie ring on the Stacker,  and my modded WSM. Since this was your original inquiry.

(quote:) Things to consider:

I'd like to fit a decent sized turkey on the thing with a fair amount of space between the bird and the lid.

I like to be able to put racks on the rotisserie eventually for ribs and such. Something like the rib-o-lator. I don't know if this is only compatible with the Cajun bandit though.

Don't care if it's battery vs corded.

I like the idea of keeping the regular cooking grate on the kettle but maybe I'm dreaming there, space-wise.

Are there any products or combinations of products that I could use to meet these considerations? (quote)

So, YES, it was my point that you could cut and make the Stacker a rotis ring to fit your needs.

To be honest, when I use a kettle to spit rotis, I never use a grate, but always have a cook grate below when using the Rib-O-Lator as an insurance policy-it's only happened twice to me and once was at a competition. Meats shrink and will sometimes shift and the trays can get unbalanced and tip over. I've heard it too many times on the forums from others.

Hope this helps.