Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Frozen kettle stories  (Read 3782 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Frozen kettle stories
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:50:33 AM »
After shoveling the 8" of snow off the back patio last night to grill I went to take the cover off my grill and of course the cover was rock-hard and I decided to just grab it by the underside of the bowl and lift it up to carry to the spot where my flood light shines to work the cover off and the 2 rear legs gave a slight resistance and then just came right out of the sockets and I almost fell over in the process, It was fun trying to hold a covered frozen redhead bowl with one hand and no gloves and try to get the rear legs back in the sockets with the other, NOT!  >:(  And all this mess was so I could transfer my grates from the redhead to the brownie. I'm gonna be smoking a ham on Christmas and then turkey number 2 next weekend for the in-laws so I wanted my brown grill to be the first string since I want to smoke them on a daisy wheel. If I had just gotten out my new sear grate system that I got for my birthday, all this would have been avoided!  ::)  The vintage vinyl cover I have on the brown, though hardened, came right off with no problems and that grill rolled with no issues.

Craig
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:52:52 AM by husker_red »

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Frozen kettle stories
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:18:28 AM »
That's a funny story! ;D

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 08:36:34 AM »
I'm glad that those in warmer climates get a kick out of us midwestern flat-landers and our winter woes!  ;D  It's funny, now but last night i'm pretty sure they could hear me cussing on the cul de sac behind my house.  ;D

Craig

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:42:20 AM »

I think I heard AJ and Duke laughing in sunny California. 

I have 40 degrees and windy, I used the gas grill last night.

My hat is off to the hardcore Weber kettle warriors!   

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »
I have 40 degrees and windy, I used the gas grill last night.

My hat is off to the hardcore Weber kettle warriors!   

I had a Char-Broil gasser last winter, but I sold it over the summer. Some day, I will own a Weber gasser for weeknight winter cooks. But I promised myself I'd grill more this winter come snow or not, charcoal or gas. I am working to live up to Duke's signature this year.  ;D 

Craig

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
35 and raining here on the Wet coast. Did a ham yesterday. took it a while but well worth it.

Ken
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
I am working to live up to Duke's signature this year.  ;D 

Craig
Yep, me too. If we get any snow here i'm grilling! :D

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »
After shoveling the 8" of snow off the back patio last night to grill I went to take the cover off my grill and of course the cover was rock-hard and I decided to just grab it by the underside of the bowl and lift it up to carry to the spot where my flood light shines to work the cover off and the 2 rear legs gave a slight resistance and then just came right out of the sockets and I almost fell over in the process, It was fun trying to hold a covered frozen redhead bowl with one hand and no gloves and try to get the rear legs back in the sockets with the other, NOT!  >:(  And all this mess was so I could transfer my grates from the redhead to the brownie. I'm gonna be smoking a ham on Christmas and then turkey number 2 next weekend for the in-laws so I wanted my brown grill to be the first string since I want to smoke them on a daisy wheel. If I had just gotten out my new sear grate system that I got for my birthday, all this would have been avoided!  ::)  The vintage vinyl cover I have on the brown, though hardened, came right off with no problems and that grill rolled with no issues.

Craig

What vintage vinyl cover?  Why have I never seen this?   As Stu well knows I am in the hunt for a vintage vinyl cover....

Brian
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:33:07 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 08:03:47 AM »
It's the 1984 black vinyl one with the all white Weber logo and furry white cloth inside that I bought on eBay when I got my chocolate kettle. I don't have access now but there's a pic of it in the "project warrior" thread. I like it, but I'd love a 70s floral one.

Craig

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
If you ever feel the need to move that cover, let me know.  If you need handles, and are down for a trade...let me know.  If you have any wheels that need refurbishing....We can work something out.  Unless your really attached to the cover....

Brian

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »
I'm laughing all the way... Ho, Ho Ho!!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »
I bet you are....did you get your "medicine".  That usually makes you laugh when nothing is funny

Brian

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »
No meidince yet, but there's Egg Nog.. I hear it calling  me now!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..