Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lid Assembly 2005 Genesis Silver B vs Genesis Gold B  (Read 5792 times)

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
Lid Assembly 2005 Genesis Silver B vs Genesis Gold B
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »
Recognizing this is a kettle centric forum I'm not expecting much in terms of an answer, but some of you seem to have some gassers around also so I thought I'd ask.  I'm rehabbing a 2005 Genesis Silver B and was wondering if the lid assembly is the same on Genesis Gold B's?  I have learned that the Gold's have a stainless steel shroud and the B's have a porcelain shroud similar to kettles but in looking at them that appears to be the only difference.  Question specifically is are the cast aluminum end pieces the same?  They have different part numbers between the Silver and Gold models but I find it hard to believe that they are actually different as the grills are so similar.  If anyone has or has had both a Silver B model and a Gold B model and can give me some feedback I'd appreciate it.

I am prepared to register at one of the gasser sites but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lid Assembly 2005 Genesis Silver B vs Genesis Gold B
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 02:26:08 PM »
I know nothing of the gas stuff, but I'm sure someone will have an answer to that......there's quite a few folks here that have those type cookers.......

I'll see if I can stir some of them up..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »
I have a Silver, but no Gold to compare it to.
We need some help from @Bman !
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:34:44 PM »
2005 silver and gold lids should be interchangeable

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »
i think the silvers had black sides

i think the gold and platinums have silver sides
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 09:22:06 PM »
According to the schematics at Weber looking at the lower cook boxes for 2005 models.

91079   Cookbox for Genesis Silver/Gold C

91424   Cookbox, Genesis Silver/Gold B.

At the very least, I'd think that a lid from a Gold C would fit on a Silver C and vice versa.    Same with a Silver a Gold B.      Next question would be whether a C model lid would fit on a B even though the lower cook boxes have different part numbers.

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:34:31 AM »
According to the schematics at Weber looking at the lower cook boxes for 2005 models.

At the very least, I'd think that a lid from a Gold C would fit on a Silver C and vice versa.    Same with a Silver a Gold B.      Next question would be whether a C model lid would fit on a B even though the lower cook boxes have different part numbers.

Thanks, I didn't catch that the cookboxes were different numbers.  With that in mind I don't think my plan will work.  I was interested in the cast aluminum end pieces as they are usually rough in older grills.  I was thinking of buying new ones to get back to the factory finish but for the Genesis Silver B they are about $100 each.  I started looking around and noted that the Gold C's were about $40 dollars each for what looks like, at first, an identical part.  That still is a remarkable price difference for parts that are very similar.

I painted the end pieces on my Silver B with High Temp paint but I don't know how long that will hold up.  I have to watch myself about not over doing it on this rehab.  I once spent about $4000 restoring an, at the time, $2000 BMW R100S.  I kept it long enough to get most of that out of it, and it was fun, but I don't want to get caught overdoing it on a grill of all things!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »

Thanks, I didn't catch that the cookboxes were different numbers.  With that in mind I don't think my plan will work.  I was interested in the cast aluminum end pieces as they are usually rough in older grills.  I was thinking of buying new ones to get back to the factory finish but for the Genesis Silver B they are about $100 each.  I started looking around and noted that the Gold C's were about $40 dollars each for what looks like, at first, an identical part.  That still is a remarkable price difference for parts that are very similar.

I painted the end pieces on my Silver B with High Temp paint but I don't know how long that will hold up.  I have to watch myself about not over doing it on this rehab.  I once spent about $4000 restoring an, at the time, $2000 BMW R100S.  I kept it long enough to get most of that out of it, and it was fun, but I don't want to get caught overdoing it on a grill of all things!

On all the restorations that I've done or seen, all people usually do is clean and paint the end caps.   Some go full tilt and disassemble the lid completely, paint then reassemble while others just mask the SS or Porcelain off with paper and tape then paint the end caps.

If you use high heat paint, it should be fine.

BTW, the parts in question might very well be indentical.  Weber wouldn't be the first company to have a single part with multiple part numbers.