Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey Joe refurb  (Read 5468 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Smokey Joe refurb
« on: December 14, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
I need some advice/help on refurbing my old Smokey Joe.  I was looking at the legs and they are a little wobbley and rusty. What can i do to make the legs more stable? And what can do to clean up the rust? This photo probably shows the rust the best.  Thanks
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Smokey Joe refurb
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 05:54:46 PM »
I would start by loading the nuts that hold them on with oil and latting that sit for a while. Then use a wrench or channel locks and take them off. That rust is about impossible to remove because I believe the legs were just left in bare metal, so just steel wool them and paint them black or silver. Myself, I would just oil them and be done. The bowl should clean up pretty nice with the legs off though.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »
When you put the legs back on, put stainless fender washers on the inside and out, and a stainless nut instead of the Weber wingnut.

Using a couple of sockets, I "cup" the fender washer that goes on the outside a little deeper than the radius of the bowl. That way, when you tighten the nut, the washer will flatten out to match the bowl. Really makes the legs sturdy.

I have an old SJ like that and a sanded the legs and painted them black. Also ground off the lower vent rivets and replaced with stainless bolts, washers and nuts after re-forming the vents.

Good luck with the refurb.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Sonny Roach

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 06:31:25 AM »
I have one like that, used steel wool then had to swap to some 150 sand paper, once smooth used several applications of gun blue. Very pleased with how it turned out.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 06:55:40 AM »
Sonny, does the Gun Blue look like the original? I know the legs had a weird coating if any on them.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »
I have one like that, used steel wool then had to swap to some 150 sand paper, once smooth used several applications of gun blue. Very pleased with how it turned out.
I like the idea of the gun blue thanks!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Sonny Roach

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 12:53:20 PM »
After three applications the gun blue turned the bare metal dark, but not new gun barrel dark, looks good with the black bowl & lid. We're traveling, will try for pictures when we hit home.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Thanks Sonny, sounds like something I want to try.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 06:18:43 AM »
I agree with the above, including painting the legs. I've got an '88 Joe NIB that I'm gonna paint the legs black or gunmetal blue anyway before it has a chance to rust. The old style '70s & '80s legs look badass in black or gunmetal, including the ash catcher. I've seen a pic or two of them painted. Do the older thin legs (pre mid '90s) seem to rust quicker than the later ones or is it just me?  :-\

Craig
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:28:14 AM by husker_red »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »
Any pictures on the Gunmetal Blue legs Sonny or Ron? What brand paint is it? I have a couple sets I want to paint. ???

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 08:39:32 PM »
Any pictures on the Gunmetal Blue legs Sonny or Ron? What brand paint is it? I have a couple sets I want to paint. ???

I just bought some 2000 degree semi gloss black paint for my legs. It's the Rustoleum High Heat grill spray paint. Not that I'm worried about buring my legs, but I figured I'll use that if I go black on my first smoker.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 09:47:04 PM »
I'm just interested to see what Sonny's Gun Metal Blue looks like. ???
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:51:28 PM by Duke »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »
Does anyone make a spray in a gun metal blue?  ??? It may be time for me to make a trip to HobbyTown after many years away.

Sonny Roach

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »
Sorry, guys, been working. I will try to snap a picture tonight. You can buy the liquid gun blue at wal-mart in the sporting goods department. Very easy to apply, I suggest multiple thin applications to the desired darkness.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
I think the best way to get a match is to get a piece of clean unfinished steel and try and match that up with a paint. The original legs were unfinished and very dark almost black, but there is a metal look to them because they are raw steel.