Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What temp should a snake sit on?  (Read 8212 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: What temp should a snake sit on?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
@5280Jeff
  2+2 will run just a bit higher, like 250+, which should be just fine for what you're doing.......

2+2+1 is fine too........maybe just pinch the bottom vents  down a tad more......I've found that putting the wood chunks on top of the  chain works pretty good.....trying to 'build' them into the chain runs more risk of creating a gap where the fire could dwell or even fizzle out....

I've gotten fine results even with 2+1+ small chips of lump sprinkled over that & wood block all along, more towards the start.....

The chain of charcoal burns along & as it gets close to the block, pre-heats it closer to actual burn temp, a lot like pre-heating splits on top of the firebox of an offset cooker.............

(clockwise, for beef)

That ran about 260f on a daisy wheel, bottoms 1/2~3/4 open, top all open not too hot of a day......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
@1buckie
Thanks Buckie, this will be my 1st pork shoulder and snake. I've done quite a bit of reading here and watched the Aaron Franklin video you posted a link to. I'm prepared as I'm gonna get!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 10:55:24 AM »
Good Deal !!!

Start up & let it run in & stabilize for just a bit.....maybe just a bit higher in temp as there's a big lump of cold meat going on there.....once it's on, do as little piddlin' around with things as you can stand to.....it will go better unmolested...... :)

@5280Jeff   You do know that Drip Beans are a possible side dish, right?

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/nothing-new-just-some-pork-beans/msg26001/#msg26001
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:10:04 AM by 1buckie »

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »
I'll just add some thoughts that may echo what some others have said.  Definitely go with a 2x2 set up for your snake, I think the 2x1 just isn't going to produce enough heat.   I also prefer to use wood chunks instead of chips, I don't know if that effects temperature at all though.  I will definitely echo adding hot water to the drip pan.  Our sink can get pretty damn hot, so I run it for a few minutes and get it steaming hot and use that in my drip pans.  I also typically start about 15 coals to put at the end of the snake.  For me with vents, I have my bottom vents mostly closed, opened just enough to maybe fit a number 2 pencil at the curved part of the opening.  The top vents are usually about 3/4 closed.  Now I'll adjust both of those open or closed depending on how the snake is running.  Which is usually determined by how windy/cold it is.

What temp are you holding with this configuration? I'm planning a 10lb pork shoulder cook this weekend on a 26er. I'm guessing I'll need to hold 225 - 275 for around 11-13 hrs. I was planning a 2x2x1 snake with apple and cherry chunks spread throughout.

I usually hold between 220 - 240. Right where I want it to be.  In the summer it's nice when there's no wind and it's just a calm day, I can usually dial it in to 225 and it'll sit there with small 1 digit fluxes.  It really all depends on my vents.  The more closed they are, the cooler it'll run and longer.  If I want it hotter I open them up slightly.   
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:25:48 PM by Johnpv »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »
I'll just add some thoughts that may echo what some others have said.  Definitely go with a 2x2 set up for your snake, I think the 2x1 just isn't going to produce enough heat.   I also prefer to use wood chunks instead of chips, I don't know if that effects temperature at all though.  I will definitely echo adding hot water to the drip pan.  Our sink can get pretty damn hot, so I run it for a few minutes and get it steaming hot and use that in my drip pans.  I also typically start about 15 coals to put at the end of the snake.  For me with vents, I have my bottom vents mostly closed, opened just enough to maybe fit a number 2 pencil at the curved part of the opening.  The top vents are usually about 3/4 closed.  Now I'll adjust both of those open or closed depending on how the snake is running.  Which is usually determined by how windy/cold it is.

What temp are you holding with this configuration? I'm planning a 10lb pork shoulder cook this weekend on a 26er. I'm guessing I'll need to hold 225 - 275 for around 11-13 hrs. I was planning a 2x2x1 snake with apple and cherry chunks spread throughout.

I usually hold between 220 - 240. Right where I want it to be.  In the summer it's nice when there's no wind and it's just a calm day, I can usually dial it in to 225 and it'll sit there with small 1 digit fluxes.  It really all depends on my vents.  The more closed they are, the cooler it'll run and longer.  If I want it hotter I open them up slightly.

John's got a cool head when it comes to this stuff ......just make small moves like that & think "fine tuning".....it'll go fine !!!!

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »
@1buckie
@Johnpv

Thanks for the advise guys. I have a stick burner so I'm hoping some of the vent management skills transfer to a long kettle cook. Patience is definitely a major factor. Buckie, thanks for the drip bean link. With this being my first long cook on a kettle I was planning a pan of hot water and foiling at 160 degrees. Drip beans are in my future for sure though. You mentioned crowning. From the pictures I'm guessing you slice a cross hatch pattern through the fat cap when you prep the roast?