Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bourbon, Whiskey, and Scotch  (Read 23605 times)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bourbon, Whiskey, and Scotch
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »
What about for us Vodka drinkers? ;)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
Bourbon-Makers Mark
Whiskey-JD
Scotch-Glenfiddich
Rum- Bundaberg
I use to drink my fair share of crown royal when I lived Canada but unfortunately they don't sell it in OZ
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

heart of coal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 11:45:17 AM »
i like alot of stuff.

i will focus on the more regular stuff.
bourbon..i like Makers.
Scotch..i like JW black label.  i find the flavor better than both gold or blue..it's more in yo face
i am however drinking a Japanese "scotch" right now.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
I'll drink near anything although I'm not a big drinker. When I do drink I prefer a scotch to anything else. My last bottle was Chivas and I have just started a bottle of Grants because that's all I had. When I do need to buy a bottle,  it will be a Johnny Double Black. I like that a lot.

I am always trying something a bit better than what I normally drink and was recently gifted a bottle of Johnny 21 year old. That should go down well. ;)
If it breathes, we can cook it!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »
What about for us Vodka drinkers? ;)

Go ahead..   Start another thread...

We dare you!     8)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 01:43:13 PM »
Pfffft. ....Vodka.....
If it breathes, we can cook it!

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 04:01:50 PM »
Pfffft. ....Vodka.....
With vodka you get the red Bull rebate :D
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
Man Vodka is where it's at, specially a nice glass of Chopin Vodka on the rocks.  Soooo damn smooth.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »
I love me some crown and coke. Heard lots about bulleit, still need to try it. I have not tried much else but always looking for suggestions and trying new things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
Just picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

Apparently they only make "one kind" (no trendy flavored stuff, no "ultra special reserved aged-in-100-yr-casks" or whatever). It's reasonably priced and darn tasty if you like KY bourbon.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 03:03:33 PM »
Just picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

Apparently they only make "one kind" (no trendy flavored stuff, no "ultra special reserved aged-in-100-yr-casks" or whatever). It's reasonably priced and darn tasty if you like KY bourbon.

My friend, Buffalo Trace distillery makes LOTS of other bourbons besides Buffalo Trace, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/content/buffalo-trace-distillery

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »
"Oops"

And I even went to their site and seemingly didn't click around. I guess none of the things up in the nav bar seemed like it? I'm a dork.

It is interesting however, that many of the others are branded differently. Contrast that with say, JD, who makes damn sure to put "Jack Daniels" on everything.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 02:18:42 AM »
Why wouldn't JD put their same markings on their bottles?...everyone knows who they are. And why mess with a successful venture?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
This whisky was just launched here in Canada, so I had to give it a try.

My Dad has been to Scotland many times, and he says that adding just a tiny bit of water, brings out the heart of the whisky. I figure the Scots know best.

When he first told me that, I said it was blasphemy.  Lately, I have been doing just that ... And, I kinda like it.
I find that ice bruises the whisky .... That's right, bruises it. Adding Coke .... Well, you clearly like the taste of Coke over whisky. YMMV

Overall: Not bad. I am not a big fan of any Canadian Club whiskys, but this was tolerable. Maybe a 6.5 out of 10.

Here are a few links discussing this new release:

http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2014/10/06/canadian-club-releases-an-all-rye-grain-whisky/

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1425682/canadian-club-launches-new-100-rye-whisky-in-canada

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 07:17:36 AM »
My Dad has been to Scotland many times, and he says that adding just a tiny bit of water,brings out the heart of the whisky.

Been a Scotch drinker for a good 17 years or so now.  I had never been into drinking the hard stuff till a buddy let me try some of his.  I drank it straight up for years till someone said a drop of water needed to be added.  Literally a drop.  I had my doubts. Did it and had to agree that it changed the taste....opening it up.  I do it all the time now.  If the alcohol content is below 47% or so only a drop is needed.  If above that 47% range it is often labelled "cask strength" and needs more water to bring it into the below 47% range.  Drinking the cask strength Scotch only anesthetizes my taste buds and I taste nothing.  I used to have a collection in the 30 bottle range but for last few years it has been running in the 3-6 bottle range.  What makers are almost always represented?  Bowmore and Highland Park with regular appearances by Talisker, Macallan, Cragganmore and Lagavulin.

Never really got turned on by other kinds of Whiskey be it Canadian or American styles.  The only real exception is Makers Mark Bourbon.....every time I have a little I think, damn that's good.  Sweeter and smoother than any other Bourbon I have tried and tonnes more character.  Is it as good as the best Scotch - no but still very worthy.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"