Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lump Charcoal?  (Read 3944 times)

masonred

• Smokey Joe
Lump Charcoal?
« on: September 30, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »
What’s the difference in lump charcoal performance? How it’s made, age/size of wood it’s processed from etc... The reason I’m asking  is I got a bag that’s not to good slow to start doesn’t burn evenly and leaves lots of ash.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lump Charcoal?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
If it's not close to fully cabonized, you're basically running partially burnt wood.......
A lot of the stuff out there is made from catch-as-catch-can types of wood & is not real consistent.....

If it's done right, theoretically shouldn't matter what kind of wood, but a lot of it isn't done well.....unevenly charred, weird bits of other stuff in there, etc.

What's your brand?

Check it here to see what they say about how it fares :

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

masonred

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »
Best of the West
Now I know, thanks for link 1 buckie and I agree not as good as the other stuff I've used. Large pieces like forearm size but nothing brown lots of white smoke at start.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »
Best of the West has been good & bad over time......

Ones I've tried that seem pretty OK are Frontier, Lazzari, Cowboy (also hot 'n' cold)

Groveland Orange Tree is pretty good &

Wicked Good is Wicked Good........

Try also throwing a small amount of trusted briquettes underneath it in the chimney to get a good startup.......

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:41:02 PM »
The last couple bags I used were cowboy, with good results. I usually use royal oak. Try starting a chimney with a paper towel and a little vegetable oil on it, it works great!!!
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

masonred

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 02:31:30 AM »
I have been getting charcoal from HEB (don't pay attention to bag but will) and it is consistent in size burn etc. I use a little oil on newspaper or brown bag with the chimney. When I lived in the Hiil Country I would burn mesquite till coals developed then add to pit, a little chainsaw time was cheap and helped to keep fence lines or pastures clean.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »
lump is made from wood and nothing else.
It's literally chunks of wood that have been burned in an oxygen deprived environment.
The result is a natural fuel that burns efficiently without any added chemicals or fillers.

lump typically burns hotter and longer than briquettes - but it doesn't always appear that way due to the low density of lump.
A chimney filled with lump will typically contain less fuel than a chimney filled with briquettes

lump charcoal can vary drastically due to different types of woods and different manufacturing processes.

briquettes are made from sawdust. Sawdust is mixed with a bunch of other chemicals and fillers and pressed into the briquette shape.
The additives are used to help hold the shape and help the briquette catch on fire.

Bazzz

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 05:08:26 AM »
Great explanation Troy, I watched them make Kingsford briquettes on the "How it's made" TV show. I have tried different brands of lump but can usually find Royal Oak consistently at Wall Mart. I get a lot of stares when I roll a cart loaded with 6 or 8 bags through the store. Sam's Club has lump occasionally that works good, but they don't always have it in stock.

Fuel (lump, briquettes, wood or gas) for the fire can be what ever you want it to be as long as your happy with the results. The fun is experimenting with it and the food to find what works for you.

masonred

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:39:19 AM »
HEB has store brand its Central Market, I know the store isn't nationwide. I have good luck with this charcoal and HEB or Central Market stuff.

Troy
Is the wood burned in an oven type thing or what?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »
HEB has store brand its Central Market, I know the store isn't nationwide. I have good luck with this charcoal and HEB or Central Market stuff.

Troy
Is the wood burned in an oven type thing or what?

@masonred    Here's the most extensive thread I know of on how it's done....you can do it at home in your spare time......just need some clear space around the area of the burn............

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37313&highlight=making+lump+charcoal

Basically, fill one drum with thick split branches that will be the end product......then invert that drum into a larger drum & fill all around the sides with kindling & scrap wood......torch it & get it to burn screamin' hot so it actually catches the wood INSIDE the smaller central barrel on fire, except because of it being closed off (the inverted top is set tight against the bottom of the big barrel)....it carbonizes in an oxygen poor environment & doesn't actually fully burn.......

Over a length of time, if it's a good hot burn, the inside wood will be close to pure carbon.....

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 08:27:13 PM »
If you like lump and also a good price, Cash and Carry sells 40 lb bags of Lazzari lump for $15 if you happen to have one near by.

https://www.smartfoodservice.com/shopping/searchProducts/

Not my favorite lump, but it is fine.  For the price, it cannot be beat.

(My fav, Fogo, is fantastic, but at $44 for 35 lb it is more than 3 times the price.)

http://www.amazon.com/Fogo-FHWC35LB-35-Pound-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B009P166SU/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_img_y

Pete

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:30:17 PM by ClubChapin »

masonred

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »
Thanks all! I now have the understanding of process and what's is needed. I will continue to use the HEB brand as its been good and at a reasonable price. CC never heard of Cash and Carry, and after searching none near Texas. Also as stated before this place is good and bad lots of information and inspiration but now its near an obsession.

SwampDonkeyzBBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »
B&B has always been good to me. 

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:25 AM »
Big fan of B&B here too. You can find it in any Academy in Texas and lots of other spots too. I use the Oak lump 90% of the time, the Mesquites good too for fish and shrimp and I've got two bags of their Hickory lump I'm  saving for my next big pork butt cook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD