Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: charcoal chimney  (Read 6006 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
charcoal chimney
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:42:51 AM »
Just getting started on buying accessories for my new-to-me SS Performer.

Seeing as my gas assist works, would you advise me to get a regular Weber charcoal chimney, or a compact one?  Seems like a big one would be best since it seems like you could just fill it halfway and get the same amount as a small one, but would have flexibility to do a big load if needed.  But since I am a total novice, I may not be correct!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:48:14 AM by namtrag »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: charcoal chimney
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:20:26 AM »
Chimneys are cheap, buy both!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »
I use both for different purposes.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Lerxst

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »
If you are only getting one, get the big one.  But yes, having both really is the best way to go. 
"Woke up this morning thinking - what can I barbecue next!  This is fun!"

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »
I have and use both, but I too would start with the bigger one. 

PROTIP:  back in the old days before mini-chimneys, we old-timers would turn our larger chimneys *upside down* when lighting a very small amount of coals for smoking, etc..
One of the charcoal people.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:20:20 AM »
I have both, but if buying only one it would be the larger on.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
I have two big ones and one compact one.  So, another vote for buying both.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »
Both.  The small works great for quick cooks, burgers, brats, etc...and the large one for when you need a large area of coal..  get both.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 03:24:42 PM »
just do the big one.

since you have gas assist, you can turn the 'cone' of the chimney upside down and make it more effective with your gas assist feature.

orrrr, you can just do the baskets (i would personally get the baskets AND the chimney)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 03:40:14 PM »
Sounds like I have several options!  I think I am going to like the gas assist

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »
Sounds like I have several options!  I think I am going to like the gas assist

i always loved it, but the baskets (or no baskets at all) work much better than the chimney while using the gas assist.

as you learn and grow as a chef, you'll develop your own techniques and preferred methods.

Some people never venture far from the 'light a chimney, dump a chimney' approach - but there's really a ton of methods you can use to achieve very different results.

I'm personally a big fan of using the amount of lit charcoal to control my temps rather than fiddling with vents.
Others love the old kettles because vent fine tuning is easier and they dial them in to control the temp.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
Thanks Troy, I think I will start just with the baskets since the gas assist will make them into mini chimneys...then get a chimney if I need to later.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:15:29 AM »
i was wondering why people thought you needed a chimney with the gas assist.  the baskets were intended to hold the charcoal while you lit them with the gas. 

but for once, i kept my mouth shut. 

"It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt" ญญ- Mark Twain
I only use kettles with lid bales.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:59:53 AM »
Haha, you were just letting me work through it on my own! 

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
i was wondering why people thought you needed a chimney with the gas assist.  the baskets were intended to hold the charcoal while you lit them with the gas. 

but for once, i kept my mouth shut. 

"It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt" ญญ- Mark Twain

Many here cook on more than one kettle at a time.  I frequently use the gas assist to start a chimney to use on my master touch or SJG or even UDS and then use the baskets with gas assist to cook on the performer.  Or sometimes I use the chimney with gas assist because I want to set my fire up differently from what the baskets allow.  It's much easier to dump a chimney than it is to dump the baskets.  The kettle is such a versatile cooker that there are many ways to use a chimney (or not).  It's really just a matter of what works best for you for any given cook.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere