Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Technology (Just a rambling thought)  (Read 3152 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Technology (Just a rambling thought)
« on: September 09, 2014, 05:17:44 PM »
I watched the unveiling of the Iphone 6 and the Apple Watch online today.  It is pretty amazing to see how much technology has changed the way we communicate and access information.  “Wearable Technology” is going to be a very big market.

In contrast, I looked out on the back patio and see a couple of Weber grills that have not changed in basic design for over 60 years.  Lets face it – the “one touch” system is not exactly a huge technological advancement.  Most of the time, I cook using charcoal briquettes, something Henry Ford invented, and hardwood chunks, something God invented (unless you are a Darwinist – but that's another ramble).

That's not to say the kettle cooking has escaped from technological advances.  For example, I usually use a Thermoworks TW8060 with a ceramic probe capable of withstanding 2000 degree temperatures to monitor kettle temps, and a second probe capable of registering internal meat temp at +- 0.9 degrees F with a 2 second response time.  My good friend 1buckie on the other hand, uses something slightly different (if he uses a thermometer at all!), and his “bad cooks” are better than many of my good ones!

There are certainly more elaborate offerings out there as well; stokers, igrill, web based tools that log your grills, etc.  But the cool thing about grilling/smoking is that it all comes down to one thing; how the food turns out.

So while my Apple watch monitors my vital signs, tells me where I am in the world, and warns me of a day packed with meetings tomorrow, I am thankful that Weber is still providing the same basic charcoal kettle it has for the past 60 years.

Winz

PS - I just wish I could get it in Ivory....
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:21:54 PM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Technology (Just a rambling thought)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:48:27 PM »
There's a ton of great stuff going on here @ WKC just now, but this takes the cake !!!!

Post-of-the-Month !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
I hear ya! I was talking to a lady about her two weber kettles today and she said she wished weber would get with it and make a barrel type cooker so she could do more food with the offset method. She has seen the wsm's and liked those. I told her they made bigger kettles and she said that was news to her.

Our area now sells 18 wsm at lowes and home depot ( she was telling me about the smoker saying they just came out, and was shocked when I told her mine was almost 25 years old.) But, our area does not sell anything bigger than 22" ANYWHERE local.
#grubdubs

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:08:18 PM »
Personally, I think there is such a thing as too much technology in my face..
I never understand the craziness that everyone goes gaga over.
Maybe its just the older I get, the simpler I want things..
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 07:36:59 AM »
Weber technology rules. Funny how the Apple Watch is 2 years behind. Sony had this watches ahead of time. I guess they did not work well. Pretty sure the Apple Watch would work flawlessly with the Iphones.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »
Apple doesn't usually come out with things first. But when they do release them they blow the competition away. One of my other passions is technology. I could talk about it for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:04:44 AM »
The more tech I hook up to kettles/wsm the dumber I feel when things don't turn out. :-P but technology is cool. I love my stoker, iGrill, and thermapen.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:43:37 AM »
Apple doesn't usually come out with things first. But when they do release them they blow the competition away. One of my other passions is technology. I could talk about it for hours.

I think about this a lot (the not first but best thing)

I believe its totally unrelated to the tech or the interface and 100% marketing and brand reputation.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 11:00:37 AM »
I believe a lot of it is brand reputation but there has to be some innovation in there also. It pays to wait until someone screws up first and then jump in and make it better. I don't think it would work on all marketing and brand reputation. There has to be something there to back it up. People like things to be simple and work well.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »
I guessing Jony Ive doesn't like the new bolt on handles either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »
Free U2 album was all I caught in the all hype, anything free you have my attention lol

I live by the KISS principle, keep it simple stupid

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »
I guessing Jony Ive doesn't like the new bolt on handles either

:)

From what I have seen, he values clean simple design.  I bet he is a MTH Wood Dale fan.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 06:42:23 PM »
I got the Moto 360....it's great
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »
I got the Moto 360....it's great
#jealous