Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Move over Grandpa, now there is Great Grandpa...  (Read 10714 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Move over Grandpa, now there is Great Grandpa...
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »
You may have read that I met Stu today.   Stu and I completed a three grill trade across three state lines.  He ended up with an avocado 18 and I ultimately ended up with his old Ranch Kettle.  It is a project but I was very excited to get it....I had a chance to meet Stu and he couldn't have been any nicer of a guy.  A real asset to our community.   He wasn't a murderer which was great....

As you all know about Grandpa, the 50 year old 26" I got earlier this summer that was a little rough around the edges but had that awesome vintage look.  Well, now there is great grandpa, a very close relative to grandpa, and will be held in the same respect.  Stu agreed to part with this piece of history and I have been entrusted with it, I will take very good care of it....I would guess this rancher is from the early 60's, it has the thumbscrews. 

Of course Lucy and Phoebe had to check out the new addition...

Here is grandpa and great grandpa together....

As I'm sure you can guess the wife was thrilled to see this show up here.  But I guarantee everyone will be excited on the Fourth of July.  I can't tell you how much I love these super old grills, they are a real piece of Americana.  I love speculating on what this grill has seen and where it has been....

Brian

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:45:59 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Move over Grandpa, now there is Great Grandpa...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
Very cool Brian.  You certainly have one of the best collection of REAL oldies here.  So whats up with those new shoes on the Ranch?  Have you already done them or did you get it like that?  Also, what are your plans for GREAT GRANDPA????
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
VERY cool Brian...
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:54:24 PM »
Very cool Brian.  You certainly have one of the best collection of REAL oldies here.  So whats up with those new shoes on the Ranch?  Have you already done them or did you get it like that?  Also, what are your plans for GREAT GRANDPA????

Stu had already done the rehab on the wheels.  I'm not sure what to do...I could just leave it alone and cook on it.  If I wanted to paint it I'm not sure I could get the high temp paint to hold up....

Brian

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
oh so sweet
what was the total trade?
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:53:24 PM »
Very nice, Brian. The ranch is a blast to use.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
WOW!!! Thats a badass looking Ranch! I'd love to know how it looked when it was red. If thats what it was originally. Can't wait to see what the site looks like in the months to come with 6 decades of Weber in the flesh! Stu and Brian, I've gots to know.....whats your secret(s) on perfecting the whitewalls on the wheels. I'm struggling with my 18's wheels. The blue tape method didnt quite take.

Craig

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 03:41:30 AM »
OMG! It's Will Robinson's Rat-Rod! Just curious, what's it like to lift off that lid? Do you need a partner? Does it hit you in the gut? (Envisioning try to explain that crescent-shaped burn mark to the Doctor...) And what is the weight of the lid?

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:08:59 AM »
Zav-that looks right at home.  I like the "well used" look.  It was originally painted and didnt look as cool as it does now.

Husker-I carefully covered the rubber with tape then spray painted the entire wheel black.  Afterwards, I used a circular paper cut-out to cover the black area (exposing the whitewall) and sprayed that with white.   A little touch up was needed but thats was all.  Im sure there are better ways but this worked.  If you remember the tread had peeled off the rim on one wheel so I used black silicone caulk to fill the void.  Not perfect but better than replacing those wheels. 

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:28:25 AM »
That Sir, is breath taking! time to get some oven mits :o :o and maybe a heat resistant apron!
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 06:44:17 AM »
Zav-forgot to mention that shortly after we parted, my wife called to make sure I wasnt murdered ;D

Duke

• The Duke
Old Geizers!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 07:12:49 AM »
It's great to see those two old codgers reunited! If you get all of the old black spray paint off of it I think the red spray should hold up. It's rated to five hundred and I doubt that whole grill will ever see that. Just make sure the fire doesn't touch the bowl and don't replace the lid when the fire is raging. Super score and front page material when it's done. :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:15:57 AM by Duke »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 09:46:52 AM »
I think I have a reason to hate you! Just call me Lampe!
If anyone is gonna bring another 50 years to this grill, its gonna be you.
Nice grill Brian.. When do we eat?  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »
WOW!!! Thats a badass looking Ranch! I'd love to know how it looked when it was red. If thats what it was originally. Can't wait to see what the site looks like in the months to come with 6 decades of Weber in the flesh! Stu and Brian, I've gots to know.....whats your secret(s) on perfecting the whitewalls on the wheels. I'm struggling with my 18's wheels. The blue tape method didnt quite take.

Craig

Husker, if you send me the wheels I can fix them up for you....I fixed some for landgraft, ask him how they looked....email me an we can discuss...

Brian

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 10:30:19 AM »
oh so sweet
what was the total trade?

We traded the avocado 18 that I was able to get from Indiana ( for those of you in Australia that's the next state over from where I am)  it came with the 18 shishkabob ring.  I then took it to Wisconsin, (for those of you still in Australia that's the next state over in a different direction from where I am) and fifty bucks for Great Grandpa.  We traded a few handles for some cast iron stuff too...

Brian