Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic Meetup II  (Read 20218 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Mid-Atlantic Meetup II
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:22:11 AM »
With a few new members in the area on board, and my own move from Chicago complete, I thought we should get together here in the DC/MD/PA area one more time before Winter. Thinking Octoberish, maybe 4/5 or 11/12 weekends. It will be a true Octoweberfest!

For those who know the area better than I do, can you suggest a park where we could meet that allows charcoal grilling? Something with a pavilion? Maybe Northeast of DC and SW of PA? I don't want to presume anyone would host the event at their home, but that's an option for those bold enough to take it on! I'll do another one here at my place around Memorial Day next year, but that's so far away.

So check in and let us know if we can make something happen.

Marty

Chuck

• WKC Brave
Re: Mid-Atlantic Meetup II
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:41:06 AM »
I'll chime in on the dates. We have plans on the 4th and 5th that will probably keep us from being able to participate that weekend. The 11th and 12th will work better, depending on what we decide to do for anniversary celebrations.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 07:29:27 AM »
Sounds like fun. I'm available the 4th/5th but not the 11th/12th. No need to schedule around me, however. I'll stay tuned as I love to make it again and cook this time!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:32:10 AM »
Also, the Lititz Springs Park has charcoal grills throughout so I imagine that we could bring our own. It's a beautiful park in a wonderful town that everyone should visit sometime.

http://www.lititzspringspark.org
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 07:41:25 AM »
Marty,

There's a place in Millersville called Kinder Farm Park.  There are pavilions, playgrounds for kids, farms animals (not for grilling), trails, etc.  They do charge for admittance but have two large pavilions available for rental by large groups.  I'd imagine if you rent a pavilion you won't have to pay for entry but I can find out.  We'd also have to check it they allow outside grills (there are grills at the two pavilions).

Here's the info: http://www.kinderfarmpark.org

I can look into the rental and grills if you guys think this is a good option.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:25:10 AM »
Im working the 4th/5th, but available the 11th/12th. 
Dont schedule around me though.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:31:31 AM »
My wife is due very soon. Hopefully I can make this one.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 12:20:13 PM »
Based on input to date, and my own schedule craziness, I suggest we shoot for Saturday the 11th. Would love to do something in Lititz someday Tim, so keep that in mind. Agree it's a cool town to hang out in and the park is great. WebMD, feel free to check into the details at the park you mentioned. Seems to be a good middle ground for most of the MA crew. I'm open to other ideas too, but it would help to lock something in sooner than later. A bunch of locals (Shane, Mike, Keith, WYD and more) have not weighed in yet on the dates, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. DTHatch - I lived on the Eastern Shore a while back (St Michaels) so it would be a blast to do a Kent Island meet up someday. Grilled crab cakes are one of my favorite things!

Anyway, just trying to move the ball forward here. Like all these meet ups, it's impossible to find a day that everyone has open.

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 05:14:48 PM »
I am running a race on the 11th so I won't be able to make this one.  I look forward to the photo thread!
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 05:22:27 PM »
I'm pretty much swamped for the first half of October. I have a trip to Michigan planned, plus a motorcycle trip to NC. You guys plan for what works for everyone.  If I can be there, I will.
-Keith

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »
I'd love to do something like that. We have hockey every weekend from now thru May but I hope I can attend before or after. Depending on the time. Either weekend works for me. Allen pond park in Bowie May be a thought. Very nice area with charcoal grills and lots of room.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Mark218

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
I'm supposed to be in Pittsburgh that weekend but I'll keep an eye on the thread, it would be pretty cool to get out for a cold one and some tasty grub.

Just a thought, what about that Monday, Oct 13.  We could celebrate Columbus Day and it probably wouldn't interfere with soccer, softball, hockey, etc.

One last suggestion for a location, Catoctin Mountain National Park, Chestnut Picnic Area.  I know some folks who work for NPS, I could check and see what would be involved but I know the picnic area and it would be a nice setup.

http://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=DA01772B-1DD8-B71C-0794E1663E0E74CE
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:23:27 PM by Mark218 »

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 06:36:27 PM »
Saturday the 11th looks open for me.  I would love to meetup with any and all of y'all and get some more cooking lessons! 
One of the charcoal people.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »

Saturday the 11th looks open for me.  I would love to meetup with any and all of y'all and get some more cooking lessons!

Cooking lesson given maybe!  You should definitely give us all another lesson in that amazing salmon.
A Wonderful Family!!!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »
I will do the salmon, but only if someone brings me a 26.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.