Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Proper setup for good cooks???  (Read 6932 times)

eccj

• WKC Brave
Proper setup for good cooks???
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:37:27 PM »
I would like to ask you wonderful ladies and gentlemen to post pics of how you have your Kettles set up. I have an older 22.5 kettle with the code EZ on it. I'm wanting ideas and suggestions for the best setup to smoke meat on my grill.

As some of you know, I've been researching cooking beef brisket on the Weber. I've been offered some excellent advice and tomorrow evening, I'm going to do my first brisket!

Thanks in Advance! :D

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Proper setup for good cooks???
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »
As much as I hate to be "that guy" who relentlessly admonishes people to search the forum, I will suggest at least starting there, and then ask related questions based on what you see, or just dive in, "eat the mistakes" and then ask a follow-up. I promise, it'll work.

That said, there's a link on the front page ( http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/ ) that outlines some of the more popular methods that should get you going.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »

Here's a piece about that stuff I've done :

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/something-different/

there's pictures for low heat tri-tip & pork butt, but the setup's the same.......

And this has good discussion.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/brisket-on-a-22-5-kettle/msg106493/#msg106493

(I think you may already have seen that one ^^^)

Did you want just pictures?

.....a description of how things went usually helps me...along with the pics.........

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
What kind of thermometer should I get to check the temperature of the kettle?

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 10:47:31 PM »
I use a Maverick ET-733. You can monitor the cooker and the meat with a single unit. I love mine and am thinking of
getting a white one for use on another cooker at the same time.
The link leads to Amazon with the WKC referrer so if you buy from them via that link you help support this great site.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 06:09:32 AM »
I'm wanting to go with something simple and inexpensive for now. I've seen several pics where people are using what 1buckie uses on his grill grate. All of the wireless options I've seen as of late have been for the meat and not the grill.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 06:33:14 AM »

eccj, you can just use those little ones on the grate, about $5 even at a regular grocery.....

a possible downside might be you don't really know where you're at at a moment's notice without lifting the lid.........forces you to trust you're setup  more, but does give you a reasonably decent read on what's happening right at the cooking area..........
i use them to figure where I'm at, right at the start & at the times I might go to pop the lid & check things anyway...........

Lance (Mirkwood) uses that Maverick to great effect......i saw him work with it at the meetup we did awhile back & you could tell right what was going on at any given time......i believe also, that there are some less expensive options of the same type setup (meat & grate temps, both), just that Maverick's a trusted, reliable make in the field...............

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 11:30:12 AM »
That said, there's a link on the front page ( http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/ ) that outlines some of the more popular methods that should get you going.

IMO number 4 on that link is pretty great! 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »

You Bet !!!!

Your Fuse / Snake method thread from way back gets searched out all the time !!!!!

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 11:35:18 AM »
Seriously..... You can always get really good advice, ideas, etc by researching and asking questions.  But the best way to learn a setup that works for YOU is going to be through experimenting.  A few years ago I had a setup down pretty well....I knew how many coals, about what temp it would be, and my cook times.  But when we moved my area changed.  I wasn't cooking on the carport with the house basically as my windbreak ..... I am now on an elevated deck.  So I had to fiddle with what I was used to. 

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »

You Bet !!!!

Your Fuse / Snake method thread from way back gets searched out all the time !!!!!

Wow...really?  I always feel somewhat intimidated...... Unknowledgeable here.  I'm usually afraid to jump in on the questions threads. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
 It was the first one where you asked the question, but also had some great pictures......

Here :

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/first-time-snakeminion-method-criticism-welcome/msg33705/#msg33705

I think because of the way the title is worded, it gets search hits a lot......which can only be a good thing !!!!!

PS: You KNOW what's up...........ma'am !!!!!!

RangerOne

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 06:30:47 AM »
Here is my setup using the Smokenator (on the left side). Fill the Smokenator with unlit charcoal, about 60 Kingfords briquets, remove 10-15 briquets and start them in the chimney, then add to the Smokenator when fully ashed over. Keeps the cook going for 4-5 hours depending on conditions. Add charcoal through the holes as necessary.

Add your drip pan, put cooking grill in place, add meat, and Bob's your uncle. I use the Maverick ET-732 unit to monitor grill and meat temperatures. It works great.

8)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:32:22 AM by RangerOne »
MY STUFF: Weber Performer Silver 22.5" + Smokenator 1000 + Maverick ET-732 + Maple Leaf Briquets

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 08:22:47 AM »
So question... If I lay the metal thermometer end on the grill, it will read just the temperature of the grill? I've looked at several different wireless units and none of these specified grill temperature on the packaging! I even saw one unit on clearance for $12! The el cheapo digital meat thermometer I bought from WalMart works like a charm!

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 08:26:55 AM »
Thanks RangerOne!!!