Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: not a weber but a good find..  (Read 4990 times)

Kevin Fisher

• Smokey Joe
not a weber but a good find..
« on: November 07, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
I picked this old kamado up today for $10.. Does anyone have info about these$

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kevin Fisher

• Smokey Joe
Re: not a weber but a good find..
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 05:07:40 PM »
I picked this old kamado up today for $10.. Does anyone have info about these$
Stupid pics loaded wrong. Sorry

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »
You got a steal of a Deal! Swamp knows all  about these.. They are not ceramic, but rather clay..
Very fragile and cannot handle high heat.. If all is intact, you are on the way..
Parts that are of the original design are pricey, but you can adapt if necessary..
Google.. "Kamado" or go to the Naked Whiz site to learn all you need to know..

Congrats! 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:21:11 PM »
You stole that! Where in the Bay did you find it? :o

Kevin Fisher

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 04:37:30 AM »
You stole that! Where in the Bay did you find it? :o
I don't live in the bay I live in so cal. Redlands.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
clay is a type of ceramic jude. just FYI :)

and fired clay can take some serious heat, glazed or not.
i don't know what this particular cooker is capable of handling though - so don't go forging steel in it :)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »
clay is a type of ceramic jude. just FYI :)

and fired clay can take some serious heat, glazed or not.
i don't know what this particular cooker is capable of handling though - so don't go forging steel in it :)
They are made from earthenware. It can't hold anywhere near the same heat that the BGE's can. Kevin, for some reason I thought it was Redding. :-[

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
interesting. i'll have to look up earthenware sometime.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
I guess my intent was to say that they are not he same as a Big Green Egg type of cooker.

What is the difference between ceramic and clay?

Ceramic materials are end products of clays, glass and cements, typically fired at high temperatures of up to 2000 degrees, F. Ceramic materials are hard, porous, and brittle, and can be semiconductors or insulators.

Clay is a natural material comprised of fine-grained minerals that are the result of volcanic and tectonic plate activity and weathering. Clays show plasticity through a variable range of water content. While clays were the traditional source material for ceramics, modern use of the term ceramics includes other mineral sources.

Clay is one source material for some ceramic end products. And not all clays make good ceramics. Clays are defined by their chemical/molecular structures, and are distinct mineral species found in nature. Ceramics are man-made materials used for industrial and consumer products. Ceramics include porcelain, which happens to be made from a white clay called Kaolin.

More info:

A kamado is a traditional Japanese wood or charcoal fired earthen vessel used as a stove or oven. Modern versions of the cooker are produced and sold internationally. They are often marketed as barbecues for outdoor use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamado

Western Kamado ManufacturersThe American owned and designed Komodo Kamado manufactures its grills in Indonesia. The Big Green Egg is a US company that manufactures their ceramic components in Mexico. Primo, also based in Atlanta, is the only US-manufactured product. Primo is known for producing the only available oval shaped cooker. The Grill Dome is manufactured in India, and the Auplex Kamado and California Kamado in China. Other manufacturers include Imperial Kamado, Kamado Joe, Broil King Keg and Big Steel Keg by Onward Manufacturing and King-Griller by Char-Griller. In Europe there is the MONOLITH Grill. In Australia there is the popular Bear Grills BBQ which is hand crafted in China.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:58:12 PM by Heyjude »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »
interesting. i'll have to look up earthenware sometime.
You were actually right Troy. Earthenware is considered a type of ceramic.

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 04:18:04 AM »
I wish I would have bought a Primo. Made in USA. Maybe one day if I win the lottery I can get one.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 06:13:12 AM »
Hey, I got all my info from Shaun! He's my IDOL.  8)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 07:52:20 AM »
yeah 'ceramic' is one of those broad terms. there are a lot of words that technically define a set of 'things' but are often understood to only be a single thing.

my favorite is 'salt'
chemically speaking, there are lots and lots of different salts.
I'm not talking about kosher, sea, rock, table here - i'm talking at a molecular level.
I've heard a lot of people commenting about how all salt is the same because it's NaCl (sodium chloride) - which if funny, because it's wrong on multiple levels.
Not only are the salts we consume different due to varieties in crystallization patterns, harvesting methods, mineral deposits, etc - but there are plenty of salts that we don't consume because they're not all NaCl. Salts are technically any ionic compound that results from the mixing of an acid and a base.

Over time, the common use of the term 'salt' has actually misconstrued the real definition to the point where now the "other" salts are referred to as 'ionic salts'

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 07:53:04 AM »
I apologize if that sounded overly snobbish or dickish :)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 08:25:22 AM »
That thing is a beauty. Lucky guy!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791