Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer & M/T lid mod  (Read 11115 times)

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Re: Performer & M/T lid mod
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 08:06:37 AM »
the main reason i started thinking about how to modify the lid is light! not worrying about wing knocking over my performer. I have my grill where its protected from wind, but the lid acts as a ez-up blocking the flood light at my house, and i end up setting the lid on the ground, or using a head lamp now with the new mounting hook theirs no shadow. I'm going to build a new hook this time ill use a thread tap on the hook so i can use a 1/4"-20 nut to back it(lock it in) then ill be able to set how tight the lid vent would be. i can build some extras if people want them.     

Excellent idea to tap the strap !
 As you know, there is a problem when trying to get a lock washer to work in this application.
For a normal daisy wheel repair, a Gripco nut is a good solution.

The cleanest-looking fastener that I've found that will fit in the rivet nest is a 1/4-20 button head cap screw. The same O.D. as the rivet...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:11:16 AM by DirectDrive »

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 09:45:17 AM »
All very cool ideas guys!  Well done and unique in each way.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:51:49 AM »

As Voyager III approaches the surface of the "Black Planet"..........

Zooming in for a closer inspection, we find.......................

Joseph's is a much better way to fix this......................
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 09:58:38 AM »
I think I see a little alien waving.
No wait, he's flippin' the bird.

:)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 03:14:51 PM »
I'm wondering about the original hook on an OTS lid I saw, must have gotten bent because although it basically looks OK it won't "reach" enough to catch the bowl and hang onto it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 10:06:39 PM »
This is what I did I'll take pics tomarrow I took 3/4"x1/8" steel bar stock and bent it in the shape of a hook then drilled out the vent rivet and bolted it back on the lid it works great.

What dimensions is your hook?

How far from the bolt hole to the top of the bend?

How far is the tip of the hook from the Bolt hole?

What is the radius of the bend?

How does the size of this hook compare to a factory hook on a non-performer?

I've got 3/4" x 1/8" stock that I am going to attempt to create one of these tomorrow for my SS Performer.

Thanks, Pete
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:10:45 PM by ClubChapin »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »
Completed this today.

A buddy is a back yard blacksmith and we heated up some 316 SS 3/4" bar stock in his forge.

Ended up making about a 2" hook, which works well.

Hangs to the side.  Nice for lighting w/ chimney (I like to keep the lid away further away from the chimney than the bale allows) or when using the rotisserie. 

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
When we made these hooks, we made some extra.  I've got 4 surplus that I will offer to the first 4 to respond to this post, with a link to an existing pic of your Performer on WKC.  These are made out of 316 SS.  They include SS washers, jam nuts, nuts, and the button head cap screw similar to this:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-mt-lid-mod/msg109220/#msg109220

They will likely get mailed out next week.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:15:22 PM by ClubChapin »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 01:52:07 AM »
When we made these hooks, we made some extra.  I've got 4 surplus that I will offer to the first 4 to respond to this post, with a link to an existing pic of your Performer on WKC.  These are made out of 316 SS.  They include SS washers, jam nuts, nuts, and the button head cap screw similar to this:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-mt-lid-mod/msg109220/#msg109220

I'd love to have one if I qualify.   Just posted this pic that kind of shows my Performer   ;D

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-'new'-roti-has-arrived-!!!!!!/msg141741/#msg141741

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 06:54:29 AM »
I'd love to have one if I qualify.   Just posted this pic that kind of shows my Performer   ;D

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-'new'-roti-has-arrived-!!!!!!/msg141741/#msg141741

You got it. PM your address.  It should work nice as a way to stage the lid on your roti when adding or removing the spit.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »
ClubChapin - very nice mod and very generous offer!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »
I really like this mod! I have recently gotten into the habit of putting the lid on the ground, instead using the bale.

@ClubChapin I would be stoked to get one of them!

Most recent pic of my Performer
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:09:42 PM by Jason Beach »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »

You got it. PM your address.  It should work nice as a way to stage the lid on your roti when adding or removing the spit.

Thanks CC!.   Yeah, it should work great with the roti.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 03:33:35 PM »
I really like this mod! I have recently gotten into the habit of putting the lid on the ground, instead using the bale.

@ClubChapin I would be stoked to get one of them!

Most recent pic of my Performer

PM your address.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 08:16:56 AM »
When we made these hooks, we made some extra.  I've got 4 surplus that I will offer to the first 4 to respond to this post, with a link to an existing pic of your Performer on WKC.

These are going out today.

I've got two of these still. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:06:49 PM by ClubChapin »