Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza Peel?  (Read 4164 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Pizza Peel?
« on: May 27, 2014, 07:40:50 PM »
I know we don't have a lot of guys here who do pizza cooking on a Weber kettle, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has a favorite brand/model of a pizza peel.  I don't think we need one with a long handle, but I'm stuck as to what size and handle length would work best.

Comment...
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: Pizza Peel?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »
I tried using a wooden peel, but they are too thick and I was having a lot of trouble getting the pizza to slide off the thing.  I got a no-brand metal peel (with a long wooden handle) from a restaurant supply store in DC, and I love it. 

So now I use the metal peel for pizza construction and initial deposit onto the grill, but use the wooden peel to pick up the finished product.  That way I can maximize cooking time and get my pizzas done while the grill is hot.
One of the charcoal people.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »
I have an aluminum peel that I use with the KettlePizza adaptor ... works great!

Not sure how it would work with your new "Euro" style / tỘilet lid unit you recently acquired. Keep us pǬsted ... thanks!  :) :) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Supply-14-Inch-16-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B002JPJ0QY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401255564&sr=8-1&keywords=pizza+peel

Bought this one last week. Nice size and long wooden handle. My first attempt Yesterday. I try to slide the dough to the stone and I end up making a calzone. Second attempt I had my wife pull the dough a little bit at a time. I still can't get the dough to slide. I put semolina on the peel but the dough won't budge. Any suggestions? TIA

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »
Any suggestions? TIA
I use baking paper( not sure what you call it in USA )
I make the pizza on the paper. It slides off easily onto the stone then after a minute or two the paper  slides easily out from under the pizza. I like this method because it's easier and cleaner than using flour and has no effect on the dough and makes for an easy transition from the kitchen to the Kettle
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 09:59:09 PM »
i used to do a lot of pizzas, haven't made one in a year or two now though :(

I really prefer wooden peels for putting the pizza in.
the wood will hold flour and corn starch better than metal - but neither are fool proof.
if you let the dough sit on the wooden peel for too long, it will begin to stick.

if you need more time while assembling the pie (while on the peel), pick up the peel and give it a quick shake to get the dough sliding.

also - the best peel ever is the SUPER peel - it has a fabric belt like thing over it and can gently pick up and lay down even the most delicate doughs.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:33:02 PM »
I was going to make the same comment as Hogsy.  I have never used a peel. I do build my pies on parchment paper (your baking paper Joel) and grill them on paper on the grate.  Not saying it is the best way but is is a peel-less method and they are easy to rotate and remove by manipulating the paper with some tongs.  Sometimes once the crust has set some I wil remove the paper but that is the exception.

I grill up and away from the flame and trim it pretty tight to the crust and it does not burst to flames though it does come close at times.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:35:12 PM by G$ »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »
Yes it's not the traditional way to do it but it's quick, clean and foolproof
I'm such a tightass that I'll even reuse the baking/parchment paper for the next pizza
When my boys are hungry, time is of the essence!!!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 04:50:16 PM »
+1 on the parchment works great
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »
Yep parchment works great. I don't leave it the whole cook. Pull it once the crust is crispy a little. Pretty sure I got the idea from Hogsy originally.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »
getting the dough to work with the peel is an art, for sure.  I have found that a good dough that wasn't overworked or sat for too long on the peel tends to slide off pretty well.  I also used a coarse-ground cornmeal to help keep things slippery.  And of course using just a few toppings on your dough helps too.  The dough recipe that Mike from TN (can't think of his handle right now, something about smoke  ;-) posted is really great and slides nicely off the peel.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »
Chasing Smoke is his handle Mike.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »
Chasing Smoke is his handle Mike.

CS put me onto this pizza dough recipe. Used it many times, and like it a lot.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html

I use the aluminum peel, and I place the stretched out PD on one of these screens. Measure about 14" in diameter.
Then build the pizza on that, and the pizza slides off and on the peel real nice.
I have to remember to spray the screens before placing the PD on there. I have had some sticking issues. With spray, no sticking.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »
Right, 'Chasing Smoke'.  Thanks, Terry!

That dude really knows his stuff.  I've learned to follow each and every one of his cooking suggestions, and I've never been disappointed.