Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My parents are enablers  (Read 4696 times)

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
My parents are enablers
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
I drove to Ohio for Memorial Day weekend to help my brother do a cook at a Mud, Guts, and Glory event outside of Lebanon.

My hometown has a city-wide garage sale event on Memorial Day weekend so my folks ventured out to see what all was available.

I got home yesterday and dropped off some stuff my brother had sent home for them and my dad says "I've got something in the garage you may want."

In the garage is a 22.5" Avocado that they picked up at a garage sale. My dad saw it and didn't even hesitate to buy it. I got a quick look at it last night.
  -The dome is in great shape with only a small chip in the porcelain and a little chipping on the rim of the dome. It does need a new two rivet handle. I wonder where I can get one.
  -The bowl is a little worse off. It tipped over at some point, chipping the porcelain on the "back" handle and around the welds.
  -I felt some rust around the leg sockets, but didn't turn it over to see how bad it was.
  -The triangle was installed upside down, and it's pretty rusty. I think I can save it.
  -Someone put a hole in the middle of the ash pan so it would drain, indicating it got stored outside uncovered which explains the condition    of the handle. They didn't use a drill. Either a nail was driven through or someone put a bullet through it.
  -It has plastic wheels with rubber tread (I think).
  -Small tabs on the three intake vents.
  -I didn't have my glasses on, and couldn't see if the top vent was "Patent Pending" or not. I'm thinking this has to be about a 69 or so, maybe older. Thoughts?

My shed is full, so I'm forced to part with one of my grills to make room for it. My nephew has agreed to make a deal with me on the red OTS a buddy helped me rescue. I'm not really into the reds or the OTSs so it was an easy call.

They also picked up a black wood handled three wheeler that has a date code of EE. I think it must be a newer lid on an older bowl but I could be wrong. I'll clean that one up and give it away to a friends son who is just getting started in his own home.

I'll get pics of the newest Avocado once I get it home and cleaned up.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

salad

• WKC Ranger
Re: My parents are enablers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »
All this 'cado talk is making me jealous! 
Pretty cool of your parents to score that for you.  You've taught them well!
WTB 18 fruit

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:33:43 PM »
Well........we're waiting!   Is your camera in the shop?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 05:43:26 PM »
Mmmmm... Cados

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »
Well........we're waiting! 

Okay Smails.

Had baseball tonight. I'll try to get it tomorrow.

Geez.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »
That's a great dad!!
A Wonderful Family!!!

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 01:05:41 AM »
The bottom vents should have date codes as well on the one you think is mismatched.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Beef

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
Great Dad is right!
I was camping in Portage, WI last weekend and drove through Baraboo with my family, and it killed me to not be able to hit all of the Rummage Sales that were going on.   One corner had 10+ signs.

Cant wait to see pics.

Oh, and will you be visiting PoorQue in Montello, Wi on June 6-8?   I will be on site D9 just across the lake from the competition site.  Not competing, just hoping to meet some brethren.

Cheers
Numerous pre 79 kettles
Weber Seville Cart
One rare 1960's hooded rotissery grill, Like your dad had

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 05:36:47 AM »
... will you be visiting PoorQue in Montello, Wi on June 6-8?   I will be on site D9 just across the lake from the competition site.  Not competing, just hoping to meet some brethren.

Cheers
I usually cook that one, but have a catering gig I need to do. I'm hoping to have everything done by Friday afternoon and make a run up there to see my friends that will be cooking. Shoot me a PM with your cell and we can touch base while there.

Hopefully I can pick up the grills tonight and get some initial pics posted.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
Re: My parents are enablers *UPDATED WITH BAD PICS*
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
Here she is. It's got a patent number on it so not as old as I first thought.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 06:27:16 PM »
Nice Kettle!  That fade on the lid is beautiful - pretty cool that your dad scored it for you.

Congrats,

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 06:36:09 PM »
You know. If you are unhappy that the 'cado is not as old as you had hoped.

I just happen to know someone who would be happier than a pig in poop to foster it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »
An elusive PAT NUMBER Cado with half rubbers to boot! WOO HOO!!!    8)

Sweet score!!!! You don't see those everyday!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:06:33 PM by Craig »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »

"elusive": the key word here.....Craig has got the goods on this kind of info in particular.....real extra nice.....and elusive.............. 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 07:43:26 AM »

They also picked up a black wood handled three wheeler that has a date code of EE. I think it must be a newer lid on an older bowl but I could be wrong. I'll clean that one up and give it away to a friends son who is just getting started in his own home.

Clark,

The EE 3 wheeler is the last of the line.   I got one new in 1999 as a birthday present.    Wood handles and 3 daisy wheels.  I have yet to see a DD(2000) with original wood handles.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold