Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Alternative hardware for installing Tuck-Away lid holder?  (Read 346 times)

570Smoke

• Happy Cooker
Alternative hardware for installing Tuck-Away lid holder?
« on: August 02, 2022, 08:29:46 AM »
When installing the lid holder on my new 26", I ended up tightening up the fastening nuts too much. This resulted in a dime-sized chip of porcelain enamel chipping off the bowl of the kettle, which I am not happy about & unsure of now as well (rust issues).

I want to use alternate hardware, such as fiber washers in place of the provided stainless steel, and a different nut that isnt a locking type, as that is where I ran into problems. I couldn't "feel" when enough torque was applied, as the tightening of the locking nut made it difficult.

I am curious if anyone on here knows the thread-pitch of the lid holder wire ends, so I can go out and source different hardware.

Thank you.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Alternative hardware for installing Tuck-Away lid holder?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 08:57:16 AM »
Pretty sure it is 1/4-20
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 02:07:46 PM »
I would think that the provided washer would protect the outer porcelain from the bail tabs better than a fiber washer.  Was your damage on the inside porcelain?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 06:55:34 AM »
1/4-20 is correct. I upgrade everything to stainless with my modern kettles. I use stainless steel acorn nuts for the lid bale. On the outside of the kettles I use a high heat gasket that I originally bought for my WSMs.  I basically make a washer out of it and it goes between anything that gets bolted to the kettle and the porcelain. After accidentally partially melting table rollers years ago, I also started using stainless steel fender washers on the outside of the kettle at the bale wire to act a a kind of heat shield. The pictures should illustrate what I mean.

"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Alternative hardware for installing Tuck-Away lid holder?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 09:02:59 AM »
1/4-20 is correct. I upgrade everything to stainless with my modern kettles. I use stainless steel acorn nuts for the lid bale. On the outside of the kettles I use a high heat gasket that I originally bought for my WSMs.  I basically make a washer out of it and it goes between anything that gets bolted to the kettle and the porcelain. After accidentally partially melting table rollers years ago, I also started using stainless steel fender washers on the outside of the kettle at the bale wire to act a a kind of heat shield. The pictures should illustrate what I mean.

Very good, idea!   Thanks for sharing!   I’ve started using stainless for all my hardware too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 09:04:51 AM by michaelmilitello »