Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked gammon joint  (Read 1505 times)

Kermit1888

• Happy Cooker
Smoked gammon joint
« on: December 22, 2020, 06:26:17 AM »
Hi all, hope everyone is as safe and well as we can be in these times
 Looking for some advice, I have a 2.5kilo/5.5lbs cured gammon joint i would like to smoke, I have only been grilling since the summer so still wet behind the ears,  I have never properly done a slow smoke so any pointers would be appreciated.

I have the Master Touch Premium and would be using the smoke ring and defuser plate, what kind of temperature should I be aiming to hold the grill at? Am I right in thinking I just light a few coals at the edge and let it work it's magic?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Smoked gammon joint
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 01:21:46 PM »
Hi all, hope everyone is as safe and well as we can be in these times
 Looking for some advice, I have a 2.5kilo/5.5lbs cured gammon joint i would like to smoke, I have only been grilling since the summer so still wet behind the ears,  I have never properly done a slow smoke so any pointers would be appreciated.

I have the Master Touch Premium and would be using the smoke ring and defuser plate, what kind of temperature should I be aiming to hold the grill at? Am I right in thinking I just light a few coals at the edge and let it work it's magic?

I do a whole ham every year for Christmas. I do mine a little different. I place the ham in a pan and add a half cup of water. I wrap tight with foil and bake in the oven at 250 for around 30 minutes per pound.  Sometimes I stop there or sometimes I’ll smoke it for another hour with a glaze.  Works best with a whole bone in ham.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 04:43:38 PM by HoosierKettle »

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
Re: Smoked gammon joint
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 06:22:58 PM »
 have only done one once but it came out grate. was kinda a hassle to do but - soaked overnight in a large pot with the 6 for 2 bucks cola ( think it was heb brand cola ) drained / rinsed the next day and boiled in water with bay leaves and cinnamon for a couple hours  - drained, scored and put on the 22 and smoked with cherry wood 🪵 at 225-250 for about four + hours until probed like butter then applied a  thick cherry glaze for another 20 -30 minutes until set. the glaze was sweet which went well with the saltiness of the ham.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club