Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs done my way  (Read 1425 times)

Schuey

• WKC Brave
Ribs done my way
« on: October 01, 2017, 02:26:26 AM »
The weather was shocking while cooking these the other day.

The trusty old rib rack was one of the best purchases I ever made.

MMMMMM, they are good.

I know we all like ribs and we all have our own way of doing them. Here is my tried and tested way of doing ribs Aussie style.

St Louis Style Ribs 3, 2, 1 style (or 2, 1, 1 for baby back cut ribs)

Ingredients:
3 - 4 racks of ribs

Brown Sugar Dry Rub

Ingredients:
2 cups of brown sugar
4 tablespoons of salt
½ cup of paprika
4 teaspoons of celery salt
1 tablespoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of Cajun pepper
3  tablespoons of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of onion powder

BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:
1 cup of ketchup
1 and ½ cups of apple juice
¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
½ cup of brown sugar
4 x tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
2 x teaspoons of garlic powder
3 teaspoons of onion flakes
1 x teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of black ground pepper
¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper

Bring ingredients to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes to thicken.

This sauce gives a nice sweet taste with a little after pepper hit.

Wrap:

Ingredients:
1 cup of honey
300 grams of butter
3 tablespoons of apple juice.

Directions:

1. Set up a snake of charcoals in your Weber, using the 2 to 1 ratio (2 rows on the bottom and 1 row on top) keeping the rows as neat as possible for a consitant burn. You can add you favourite wood chunks in the first section of the snake to add a nice smokey flavour to your cook. Both bowl and lid vents to be fully opened.

2. Light 12 brickets in a chimney starter.

3. Remove the membrane on the back of the ribs by peeling up an edge with a butter knife and then using some paper towel fro grip, peel the membrane off. This allows the rub to penetrate both sides of the ribs.

4. Cover all of the ribs evenly with the dry rub.

5. place the 12 fully ashed over bricket’s on the start of your charcoal snake and then fill a foil pan with 2 cups of hot water. This helps regulate the heat in the Weber and keeps moisture in there as well. Put the lid back on the Weber, to allow it to heat up for about 10-15 minutes.

6. Place the ribs in a rib rack and on the opposite side of the light snake. Place the lid on and position the lid vent directly over the ribs, this allows the smoke and heat to be drawn over your meat. Adjust the lid position at each interval of wrapping and unwrapping the ribs.

7. After 3 hours (2 for baby back ribs), you will apply some 2 – 3 tablespoons of honey and the same of bbq sauce on a piece of aluminium foil large enough to wrap a one rack of ribs, place the ribs bone side down and cover the top with honey and bbq sauce and 4 small pieces of butter, then pour on a tablespoon of apple juice. Wrap up in two pieces of foil. Do this for each rack and place directly on the cooking grate, not over the coals for 2 hours (1 hour for baby back ribs). It’s okay to stack them up. The honey, bbq sauce and butter will help keep the ribs moist as the marinade away.

8. After 2 hours (1 hour for baby back ribs) uncover the ribs (there will be a lot of juice in the foil) and coat each rack in bbq sauce and place back in the rib rack and again in the Weber for an hour (the same for baby back ribs)

9. after the hour, take the racks off the heat and cover with warmed up bbq sauce and serve.

It wasn't me......Well maybe it was..

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ribs done my way
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 04:16:24 AM »
Again your pictures are amazing.  The unique lighting there is interesting.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:16:51 AM »
You nailed those ribs sir! Great pics!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 04:25:44 AM »
Your ribs sound amazing. I'll have to try it your way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schuey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 12:02:25 PM »
Appreciate the compliments everyone :)
It wasn't me......Well maybe it was..

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 06:10:58 PM »
Amazing! Thanks for the detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow