Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fresh Apple Wood Chunks... What are you guys paying?  (Read 1611 times)

UserGone

• WKC Brave
Fresh Apple Wood Chunks... What are you guys paying?
« on: March 19, 2017, 05:53:12 AM »
I usually end up paying $75-$100 for a whole apple tree that I cut down. I search for a tree in the fall and this fresh cut wood gets me threw the following grilling season. 
  Last Fall I found a gentleman that purchased a new property with existing apple trees that he wanted removed. These were 25-50 y/o trees, mostly golden and red delicious apples. The GD apple trees were huge, 24"- 30" at the base. Out of the 15 trees we cut down, I kept seven of them. It's by far the most apple wood score I've cut down and will be s bear to process. I've never sold wood before and have too much for your above average backyard griller. 

Was wondering what a fair price to ask for these 40-45 lb. sack of apple wood chunk?   Each sack has 1 cu. ft. of wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Fresh Apple Wood Chunks... What are you guys paying?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:17:36 AM »
I don't know what market value is like, but I pay $20 for a 20 lb bag of applewood at home depot.  your one cubic foot of wood looks like a lot more.  So not sure but if you are less than a dollar a lb, you will beat retail.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:18:45 AM »
the store bought is seasoned.  Can you smoke with fresh?

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 06:19:08 AM »
I usually pay about $.50 a pound for the wood I use. It comes in 16" pieces that have been split and I make my own blocks out of it.

searching for a 26" ash pan.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 06:52:43 AM »
Not sure but it makes me glad to have fruit trees. I don't split it. I just cut big rounds, take the bark off and use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:54:45 AM »
It's was cut down and stacked 5 months ago. Has been outside in the elements getting plenty of sunshine this winter.  I haven't had any issues using 5-6 month old fruitwood. Have read that some prefer fruitwood to be seasoned under one year. Oak, cherry and hickory, I like it to be seasoned for 1.5-2.5 years.

$0.50 cents a pound sounds fair. Right now 1 cu. ft. Weighs 40 pounds but in a few months it should dry more and weigh in at 30 pounds or so. That would be $15 for 1 cu. ft.

I used to use nothing but store bought wood chunks and chips. Have always wondered just how old the wood was when it was packaged and how long it sat in the shelf before it ends up in my grill. That's what got me to begin cutting down my own supply.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »
Seasoned wood would be important for a stick burner where wood is all that's burning. Adding a chunk or two to a bed of charcoal, seasoning is likely not as important.

Home Depot has the best prices for stuff like that around here so if you use them as the basis for your price you should be OK. If you're delivering, price for the additioinal service.

Also check for any regulations that might govern sale or movement of firewood. In some areas like Michigan the rules are pretty stringent due to Emerald Ash Borer.

Nice score on the apple BTW.
kettles, smokers...

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 11:22:38 PM »
I pay 100 for a truckload of it here but it is not cut neatly like that, it is trimmings from the orchards, then I let it season for 5 months before taking the chains saw to it and then throwing the small stuff through the chipper, that will last me a couple years. I have to do a lot more mesquite than that but I get that free all around me.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
I decided to remove the bark before chunking it to avoid any insects from hitch hiking. Processing the apple wood this way is going to be a chore.  I don't think I'll be listing any for sale soon as I have a ton of work ahead of me.