Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to slow down the cooking of ribs  (Read 2177 times)

Chuck

• WKC Brave
How to slow down the cooking of ribs
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »
So I've got a problem with my cook today. I'm doing 4 racks of spare ribs in a stand up rib rack in a 22 inch kettle. My last few cooks for 1-2 racks of ribs have been around the 6 hour time frame. I expected the same results here. I'm now 3 hours into the cook and I've got some good pull back from the bone, good color for the most part.

The problem is the guests are due here for another 2-3 hours.

How do I slow this down? Can I just lower the temp from the current ~225 and keep them warm, kicking up the temp later? Stack them to give it a thicker profile and rotate them? Or take them off for an hour or so and let them cook again later?

Chuck
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How to slow down the cooking of ribs
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »
you could just lower the temp.....I've done that before......
it's a little tricky, you have to make sure the readings you're getting are right....if the 225 you were getting was higher, then a 180f reading might still be moving the cooking along too fast....make sense how I'm describing it?

I've, for instance, hot held brisket, on kettle, with a single row of coals burning to keep the temp @ 165 approx. for a couple hours........just warm enough, not really heavily cooking......

semi-loose foil, in a dry ice chest, NOT packed with towels (to allow a rest, without tight pack steaming) is another way.....then maybe a very short heatup near feed bag time...........
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:31:39 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Thomas Andrews

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »
Cheers for the knowledge, Buckie. It makes perfect sense to me!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 01:14:39 PM »
Cheers for the knowledge, Buckie. It makes perfect sense to me!

I just hope it goes OK for Chuck.......that's an odd situation I've been in a bunch of times......don't want to finish too, too fast & have things turn to mush overcooking while the party starts late (or later than you've cooked for)

It's hard to tell how to handle it exactly.......that's really a 'play the ball where it lies' kind of situation.............

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
First, sorry for the delay of a response. Its been a busy weekend.

I did wind up slowing things down a bit using a combination of the lowering of the temp and stacking the racks of ribs. I rotated them every 25-30 minutes for the last 3 hours. I didn't get the color/bark I like at the end, but the taste was still good and got compliments all around for them.

I was using a fairly new Maverick ET-733 for monitoring the temps. I think you're right Buckie, in that the thermometer is reading a bit lower than the actual temp. I'm going to be doing a boiling water test with it in the next day or two when I have time.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »

Glad it worked out well !!!

sometimes I find if the therm (Thermapen in my case)  hits the wrong spot by just a bit, I'll get a weird reading & start thinking either I'm OK or things are running amok, instead of an accurate assessment.......

see here ;

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/f'in-thermometers-f'in-hi-heat-f'in-searing/msg98039/#msg98039

I'll return to just the grate therms & looking at what I'm looking at to snap out of the fog...... :o