Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Tribute to Nate's Chicago Deep Dish Pizza  (Read 1646 times)

Thomas Andrews

• WKC Brave
A Tribute to Nate's Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:04:25 AM »
Greetings!

After seeing what Nate's results with making a Chicago deep dish pizza, I simply had to have a go at it.

First of all, I didn't own a cast iron skillet so I bought a 12" one. It's so sturdy I get the impression it could survive a nuclear apocalypse.

After oiling it, and using the same dough as my thin crust pizzas I put it in and pushed it into all of the corners.

This time I didn't trim off the excess dough.

Then I added my mozzarella cheese and fillings: pepperoni and red onion.

Which was followed by the same pizza sauce from my thin crust pizza and parmigiana cheese.

I got the coals ready, added them to the grate, put the stone over the top and let it get up to temperature.

It was finished after about 12 minutes.

In summary,  I loved it and it would feed at least three very hungry adults well. (It was even better when I reheated it the next day!) I've got everyting I need for my next one which will be tomorrow as I'm cooking unl1mted's pit beef recipe this afternoon for Sunday lunch.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: A Tribute to Nate's Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:45:07 AM »
Awesome Thomas! Now I need to get a 12 CI so I can do larger deep dishs. Sounds like your addicted.

Since your cook time is pretty short, how do the onions and pep cook? I know this is a work in progress and experimental but, may I suggest a quick preheat of the pepperoni and onion on a skillet before building the pizza. This way it's partially cooked. I haven't used pep or veggies on the deep dish yet but I think this is how I would do it. Would you be the guinea pig, please ::). Give this a try too, a sprinkling of cheese on the first layer, then pepperoni & onion layer, then cheese layer and finally the sauce layer.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:47:45 AM by Nate »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 06:52:15 AM »

That looks grate !!!!

Pretty juicy, like the wife's tomato & cheese pies....I'd be setting in less sauce, but that's just a personal preference thing..................

"I've got everyting I need for my next one which will be tomorrow as I'm cooking unl1mted's pit beef recipe this afternoon for Sunday lunch."

Now ya got yourself painted into a corner.....
you're gonna have to do leftover pit beef deep dish pie !!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Thomas Andrews

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 08:11:29 AM »
The onion and pep were fine - onion cooked through etc.  I see what you're saying about lightly cooking the pepperoni beforehand to help release more of the flavours.

The tricky part is catching the right moment when the base is on the cusp of being overdone. At the point, the mozzarella has melted and the sauce on top is hot.

I will be your guinea pig, Nate! No problem.

Thomas Andrews

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 12:59:41 PM »
Here it is - ham, mushroom and red onion Chicago deep dish pizza (my best one yet)

First layer of mozzarella and then the toppings

Mushrooms

A partial shot of the (uncooked red onions); I realised half way through putting the second layer of mozzarella on

More cheese

Sauce and parmigiana

Done

I am delighted with this pizza today.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 02:23:47 PM »
 Great pie Thomas!  I see you layered it as I would. ;) It looks like you could get a few more minutes on your crust....maybe 10 more minutes. I cook mine for 20 minutes. I give the pan a 180 spin half way through. I'm not sure how much oil you have in the CI before you put the dough in, but I put a lot. The dough is swimming in olive oil which gives it a buttery tasting crust. Good job. 8)

Thomas Andrews

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:27:08 AM »
Thank you, Nate!