Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pulled pork stuffed tomatoes  (Read 2068 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Pulled pork stuffed tomatoes
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »
Last night I wanted to break in the blue MT, I didn't have a ton on hand to cook so I raided the fridge/freezer.

Album of the night:Gov't Mule The Deepest End

I had a few tomatoes that needed to be used, celery, onion, Colby cheese, mozzarella and pulled pork in the freezer.

I started by slicing just the very top off the tomato, think about carving a pumpkin and cutting into the top. Then I used a spoon to take out the inside of the tomato.

Next I diced up onion, and celery. Then grated down the cheese. Pulled the pork and gave it a rough chop. Mixed everything in a bowl, some salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of root beer bbq sauce I made a few weeks back. I stuffed the tomatoes and was ready to go to the grill.

Here they are on the cutting board ready to go.

Out on the table while I started rice on the burner, and heated up the grill.

Hitting the grill, high heat indirect

They are done, you can tell by the firmness being pretty soft and the skin pulling back some.

Plated up with some rice, green beans and a drizzle of bbq sauce over it. It came out great and I want to push this idea further for sure.

Thanks for looking!
Michael

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pulled pork stuffed tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
Nice.....we didn't plant any, but several friends will be dishing us garden stuff soon.....

"Album of the night:Gov't Mule The Deepest End"

I seen some of the earliest shows those guys did........always a ripper...... ;D

PS: Grate Pics !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16:56 PM »
I think you and I would have a blast cooking together Buckie. Good food, kettles and great music would be an awesome day! I wish I could have seen the original line up but I hope to see them sometime they go back on tour. Warren Haynes is one of my favorite guitarists. From the Allman Brothers to Mule to solo stuff he is great.

If anyone wants to hear a killer guitar solo with an extremely tight band check out the song beautifully broken off the deepest end album. Full of soul, killer licks and pure awesomeness. It's a long song so stick with it the payoff is worth it. Raises the hair on my arms.

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »
Who boy Michael that looks so good! I may have to try that soon.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »

I've seen Warren a bunch of times with Phil Lesh & friends, Furthur & The Dead.....great player, my favorite was he & Allen Woody in the Allmans.........he said about that: "we grew up listening to "Live at Fillmore East" & now I'm in the band playing those songs....don't get any better"

Another good combo is he & Steve Kimmock in PL & Friends....late 90's / early 00's

PS: Nice Tomatoes.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:49:42 PM »
Thanks Terry!
Buckie I forgot he was in PL & Friends as well. Warren is one if those guys that shows up all over the place.  I'm going to look for some PL & Friends tonight, need some new music for this weekend anyway!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:08:59 PM »
What a fantastic post.  I can't give enough praise.  Thanks for sharing C_S!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
Thanks G$!
I will say the celery and onion added a nice crunch to what would otherwise be an otherwise soft mush. I wanted to stuff them like a bell pepper with rice but I didn't have any white rice. Some fresh basil would have been great too, or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduced down into a syrup on the top. It's a very flexible dish use what you have around!