Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Replating Grill Grates?  (Read 6990 times)

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
Replating Grill Grates?
« on: May 08, 2024, 01:46:49 PM »
While this Q is technically for the resto of a Southbend commercial stove rack....I though if anyone knows this answer, it would be this group.......

Has anyone ever tried and found a source to replate a grill grate?

Probably with chrome or maybe chrome over nickel?

I know this would not be cheap, but some grill grates (or commercial stove racks) are really pricy to buy new....or are unobtanium for older grills/stoves.

Any thoughts appreciated!

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
Re: Replating Grill Grates?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 11:08:07 PM »
While this Q is technically for the resto of a Southbend commercial stove rack....I though if anyone knows this answer, it would be this group.......

Has anyone ever tried and found a source to replate a grill grate?

Probably with chrome or maybe chrome over nickel?

I know this would not be cheap, but some grill grates (or commercial stove racks) are really pricy to buy new....or are unobtanium for older grills/stoves.

Any thoughts appreciated!
I see it's been 20 days since you asked this. While nobody here has replied, have you learned anything about this elsewhere in the mean time?

You made me curious, so I searched the web for "how much does re-plating metal cost" and found results of shops that do parts re-plating in general. I suspect you'd want to reach out to some of these services and try to get a quote.

I suspect the prep work labor, plating labor, and parts/materials, plus shipping (unless you find a local place) would add up pretty quick.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Replating Grill Grates?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2024, 08:09:16 AM »
The folks at Independence Porcelain Enamel restore tons of vintage ovens. I'm sure if you ask, Jeff will have a source for chrome plating. https://www.ipe-porcelain.com/ He can also porcelain enamel the grates if you want to go that route.