Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ultimate Grill Geek Data  (Read 4062 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Ultimate Grill Geek Data
« on: May 09, 2024, 06:41:32 AM »
Do any of you keep records of how many cooks you do per year and what you cook on?  As you know, I take lots of pictures and share most of what I cook on the WKC forum.  No doubt some of you see my posts and think, "Another bamakettles cook..... yawn....".  All good!  I just like to share in case anyone likes to see what I'm doing.  Kellee says I should do a YouTube channel, but that's a bit too involved - cameras set up all over and I feel I'd lose the fun.  I just like to snap pics and share methods.

That said, I thought it would be fun to count how many cooks I did during the year and what grills I used for those cooks.  Since I have pictures of most if not all my cooks I went through my google photos and counted them up for 2023.  If you've made it this far in my silly post then it may interest you to see the results organized by most cooks to least.  I've also looked at 2024 year to date and it's interesting to compare where I am now and the differences in grill choices I've made.  In contrast to last year, I've barely touched my Kamado Joes and have been wearing out my Red Genesis.  The Summit is still at the top when it comes to usage - no surprise.

Total Cooks in 2023:  131

Summit Charcoal Grilling Center:  37
Kamado Joe Classic 3:  20
Kamado Joe Jr:  10
Kamado Joe Classic 2 (Now Sold):  9
Red Genesis EI Code (1997):  8
Glen Blue 26" Kettle:  8
Green SSP DA Code (2001):  7
Blue Master Touch 22" (Beach Trip):  4
Jumbo Joe:  4
22" Weber Smokey Mountain:  3
Asmoke AS350 Pellet:  3
Yellow 22" Gourmet 1978:  2
Green Q1200:  2
Stainless Steel Genesis DH Code (2004):  2
Blue OTP DH Code (2004):  2
Red LE 22" Kettle:  2
Black Smokey Joe:  2
Blue 18" Kettle (MM Secret Santa Gift):  1
Brown 22" 1978 Kettle:  1
Yellow 18" Yachtsman 1977:  1
Red 26" Aristocrat 1975:  1
Wood Handle CGA:  1
Wood Handle GGA:  1

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Ultimate Grill Geek Data
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 06:54:50 AM »
This is pretty cool, bama.

I used to write down which kettle I used in my WKC Calendar (RIP).

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 08:31:36 AM »
Interesante Greg! I’m thinking you need a Qlik Sense data visualization for this and get your buddies to contribute and then we can put a “heat map” (pun intended) up and see live data from the club!

Ha ha ha - it could happen though

Happy Grilling!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 09:04:17 AM »
too cool, I may have to look back and do the same thing
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 10:25:20 AM »
Sounds like a fun thing to do.  I used to do that with runs.  Dates, routes, how many miles, which running shoes etc.  Do you also note what you cooked on any given cook?  That might be interesting also to see what you eat and how often.  I usually take pictures also, but forgot my last two cooks. :-(  Today was brats for lunch.
Weber Spirit Gasser/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/26" Master Touch in Smoke - Ordered/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 11:00:10 AM »
Thanks all...... Yes Bobby a heat map would be cool - if everyone was as fanatical about this kind of head scratching stuff as we are lol....

Joe, I'd love to see your list!  Would take a while to gather that data I'll bet..... And yes Charlie, I miss the calendar as well.  Might just have to make my own some day.

@Babekyu since I obtained this data through my picture archive I'm sure the food type for each cook could be derived - although I'll probably not take the time to do that.  Might see that I'm more boring than I thought.  Steak, burgers, hot dogs, chicken, scallops, poppers, ribs, butt and..... repeat. ; )  Brats sound good.....

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 11:12:49 AM »
I'll not bore everyone with all my stats, just the first year that I got into collecting kettles (2020).  Hey, everyone needed something to do during the pandemic!

Here's my 2020 counts:  Total cooks 66

Red LE 22" :  19
Weber Smokey Mountain:  16
Brown 1978 MBH 22":  8
Black/Weathered Warrior 1973 22":  6
2006 Black 22" Mod Kettle (First kettle - the mod started all this craziness):  6
Red 18" 1973:  5
Black Smokey Joe:  3
Jumbo Joe in 18" Woodard Cart I had Blasted and Powdercoated:  2
Red 22" 1975 (First used kettle I ever bought / found in the wild):  1

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Ultimate Grill Geek Data
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2024, 05:11:39 PM »
Thought provoking post!

I rotate from oldest to newest and cook on the vintage stuff about 5 times before I empty ash.  That’s usually March to October.  I go through the old stuff at least once.   Summit and SSP get winter duty.   Ranch gets used once a month.   I’d say I’m easily in the 200+ charcoal cooks a year range.   I use the lone Genesis too.  I honestly don’t like a day without outdoor cooking.  My wife runs an in home daycare so I do 90% of the cooking since her kids are usually around when I get home.   My son says Weber is my lifestyle.  lol. 

11 -22s
7- 18s
3- 26s
Seville
Sequoia
Ranch
Summit
SSP
Jumbo Joe for vacation.
22 in garage for rainy days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 05:21:31 PM by michaelmilitello »

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2024, 12:42:43 AM »
Some really strong #'s from some of the folks here.
Just guessing, we may have hit 65- 70 cooks last year.
I say "we," because my wife does the majority of the
cooks.  I simply don't take the time.  Work or cook?
Typically, work wins that battle. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2024, 06:22:15 AM »
Thought provoking post!

I rotate from oldest to newest and cook on the vintage stuff about 5 times before I empty ash.  That’s usually March to October.  I go through the old stuff at least once.   Summit and SSP get winter duty.   Ranch gets used once a month.   I’d say I’m easily in the 200+ charcoal cooks a year range.   I use the lone Genesis too.  I honestly don’t like a day without outdoor cooking.  My wife runs an in home daycare so I do 90% of the cooking since her kids are usually around when I get home.   My son says Weber is my lifestyle.  lol. 

11 -22s
7- 18s
3- 26s
Seville
Sequoia
Ranch
Summit
SSP
Jumbo Joe for vacation.
22 in garage for rainy days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, 200!  I'll bet your wife struggled while you were in Cali.... I'm sure you did too....

Ok, kettle counts are another interesting topic! 

Thanks for sharing and for participating in my geeky thread.  ; )

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2024, 06:26:09 AM »
Some really strong #'s from some of the folks here.
Just guessing, we may have hit 65- 70 cooks last year.
I say "we," because my wife does the majority of the
cooks.  I simply don't take the time.  Work or cook?
Typically, work wins that battle.
Thanks Dave... 65 - 70 is a great number.  That's close to 1.5 cooks per week if my noggin is figuring correctly.

My wife and I like to share in the grilling duties as well, although I generally drive the desire to do it.  She actually asked for vortex wings last night which surprised me a little.  I usually get an eye roll when I mention wings lol.....

Cheers

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2024, 08:46:14 PM »
So far I’m averaging 4-5 kettle cooks a week since early March when it started clearing up more. Right now I’ve got my gray 70th and Deep Ocean with the Wok, but grabbing the rest soon. Some weeks are spattered with a Genesis cook or two.

But I haven’t tracked cooks on which grills/grills or time each is used or anything. I have two notebooks that I never remember about until after

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club