Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Inspiration for the Glenn Blue color  (Read 478 times)

Cellar2ful

Inspiration for the Glenn Blue color
« on: November 08, 2021, 08:24:24 PM »

This is a quote from a Weber.com/blog release article for the Glenn Blue MasterTouch kettle in Australia and New Zealand (earlier this year 2021).  *apparently they are already sold out......

"Introduced in the United States back in 1960 as a special request, Weber produced the then Imperial Kettle, in a colour referred to as Glen Blue. This colour was inspired by the blue that featured on the kilts of Weber’s first rep group, the Meehan Brothers, in upstate New York. They were able to play bagpipes and they did demonstrations in small towns where they would organise small parades of scout troops.  These parades would end at a hardware store where there was a Weber demo underway. As the story goes, they had an important specialty dealer who wanted a blue kettle, the colour of blue to match the plaid of the Meehans' kilts. The team decided that the colour looked so good that they added it to the Weber line up and called it Glen Blue."

https://www.weber.com/AU/en/blog/news/glen-blue-2021/weber-2141418.html?fbclid=IwAR27HBZUO7TQSX8BXxsopC871kV75sMsSkfzpuu-0yrPk6hCYBiwFPuOcsw

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Inspiration for the Glenn Blue color
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 02:50:28 AM »
Too cool for school, very cool story !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 03:49:27 AM »
FYI, the only reason Weber Corp knows the 1960 date is because of WKC. In a blog from 3 or 4 years ago Weber quoted the Glen Blue as first appearing in 1962.  I corrected them and led them here to some posts and pics of the 1960 Glen blue with steel legs, white wheels and white porcelain ash pan. This 1960 transition kettle came in three colors (black, chestnut and Glen Blue).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 01:38:21 PM »
FYI, the only reason Weber Corp knows the 1960 date is because of WKC. In a blog from 3 or 4 years ago Weber quoted the Glen Blue as first appearing in 1962.  I corrected them and led them here to some posts and pics of the 1960 Glen blue with steel legs, white wheels and white porcelain ash pan. This 1960 transition kettle came in three colors (black, chestnut and Glen Blue).

We had one at the WKC meetup in Chicago this year.   Not sure which member owned it. 

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »

I think Brian owns the one at the Chicago meetup. Here is mine.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 05:16:31 PM »
Awesome story!  Glad Weber can use WKC as a free resource for their own history.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

65Westy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 12:34:55 PM »
Whats the story on the matching rotisserie?

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 09:54:51 AM »

Original owner purchased it as an accessory with the grill.

Whats the story on the matching rotisserie?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 11:55:21 AM »

Yup!
When we started collecting and gathering history info back in 2010 there wasn't any actual knowledge available.

Even higher ups at Weber were clueless because they had moved so many times and nothing was accurately documented.
Their first "history" posters were barely 50% accurate.
Early WKC collectors spent years gathering data and comparing info to solve the mysteries