Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken skin  (Read 1136 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Chicken skin
« on: April 26, 2018, 05:36:16 PM »
Help me out here please

Here is a snapshot of tonight’s cook; lightly smoked with apple. But the last few times I have cooked chicken (and turkey) the skin turns out slightly more tender than thin leather. The meat is always juicy and tasty, so I don’t think I’m cooking it too hot or long, but I’d like some feedback on how I can get my chicken skin to be perfectly crispy, juicy, and tender.

For reference, Tonight’s cook was indirect at 310f for about 1.5 hours and it was pulled when the inner thigh hit 173. I carved the leg off right on the grill and noticed a tad bit of bloody red, so I cooked it direct (grate temp was at about 300f at that point), skin up, for about 5 minutes before serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:48:49 PM by Schaefd2 »
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Chicken skin
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:58:09 PM »
I don't know how to reconcile "crispy, juicy, and tender" (all three) since juicy and tender seem contradictory with crispy, but then again I'm not a skin eater.

But ... from what I've read here, crispy skin needs to be blasted with high heat, and ~300 ain't that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:28:02 PM »
Try pre salting the skin and placing in the fridge for an hour or so. It’ll draw moisture. Pour hot water over it to rinse, pay dry then ramp up your heat. See if that works for you bud

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 09:26:23 PM »
Cook it at 400F and you'll get crispy skin. It will still be tender if you presalt or brine the chicken and don't overcook it.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 05:12:33 PM »
Ah thanks!! I did used to cook it hotter and I normally used a salt based rub, however my wife has been digging the plain, grilled chicken.

(Maybe I need a better go-to rub??)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 09:11:41 AM »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Chicken skin
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 09:39:36 AM »
I don’t do anything fancy and I’m happy with my chicken skin. The only time my skin is tough is low indirect.

On a side note you can cook chicken in the 275-325 range and have great results with skin if your cooking direct with some distance. Like a wsm top rack no pan.

That is the only time I would cook chicken less than 375 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:41:10 AM by HoosierKettle »

THKSNOW

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 12:23:34 PM »
On my kettle I use a "fry crispy mix" like "Drakes" all over each piece of chicken (it's a flour-like product).  I cook indirect with all the coals to one side or a vortex in the middle, at 450 - 500 degrees (in the dome).  Cook to internal temp of 165 and the Drakes keeps the moisture in and makes it crispy as well.  You can hardly see/taste the Drakes mix when done.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »
Can crispy be “faked” by some version of this > cook the chicken, when basically done, oil them and zap with direct heat.

Or would that merely blacken the skin? We’re usually in the habit of saucing them, and the sugar will burn it. But what if you didn’t sauce them?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch