Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Carnitas and PSB - bbq and DO extravaganza  (Read 985 times)

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
Carnitas and PSB - bbq and DO extravaganza
« on: May 06, 2018, 01:22:35 PM »
Going through the freezer on Fri I found a package marked “pork for carnitas” and a bag of last years crop of bell peppers I froze and must have hidden under something else. I also found a bottom round roast I had bought because it was marked down and thought well, carnitas and PSB cooked today will mean a few nights next week if not making dinner when I get home from work.

I’m using the Pork Carnitas with Citrus and beer recipe from Weber. I usually use a different recipe but this one sounded good.

First the rub

Then rub the roast so it doesn’t get jealous

Onto the grill

Then since I haven’t used my DOs in a while, I thought it was time for them to see some sun and coals.

The braise

And into the bath

Then popped the roast on

Time to pull

Spa time!

And the stack.

Hopefully I’ll remember a finish pic!  The PSB will go longer since it started later but no matter because it’s not for tonight anyway.

I promise you, that stack is hotter than hell. I don’t have some fancy ass DO table but I went to a DO cook last year and one of the folks there let me use their extra setup. I like it so much I went right out and bought one when I got home - an upside down galvanized garbage can and a round feed pan. It’s PERFECT. And you can use it to carry some of your stuff in!. I started cooking on 2 cinder blocks turned sideways to make a flat surface. I had a friend see it and say “what are you going to do when the heat from the coals eventually causes your blocks to break apart” and I laughed and said “I’ll dig through the couch cushions for the couple bucks it will take to replace them”. Lol.

I really like the DO cooking and think it’s really a natural progression of the bbq. Bonus, you’re not heating the house up!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
Re: Carnitas and PSB - bbq and DO extravaganza
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 01:25:38 PM »
Sorry, it seems to have plopped all the pics at the end. But y’all are smart enough to see the progression!

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 02:42:41 PM »
Nice work!
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »
That really looks good and sounds like a fun cook. Thanks for sharing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »
Loving that trashcan double DO!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 05:32:59 PM »
Carnitas plated Honeybun proclaimed them “yea baby!” 

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 06:06:32 PM »
We had the PSB tonight for dinner. I used a bottom round roast as that’s what I had. Last night we packed it up in all the juice and didn’t try to shred. Today it didn’t look like it was going to shred so I sliced it really thin and plopped everything in the crockpot to warm so it would warm gently and stay warm- everyone is running in different directions and we are eating at different times. Bought some nice rolls on the way home and mixed up some sundried tomato horseradish dip to use as a garnish sauce. 

I’d have taken a plate pic but was too busy inhaling the finished product. The only downside is we will likely have no leftovers. We will probably drop some deli roast beef in the remaining juice and veggies for quick lunches!

So, don’t be afraid to PSB other roasts if you have them on hand or get a good deal. Totally delish.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 02:53:56 AM »
Looks awesome,  "double dutch oven trashcan rig" for grand champion
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 05:17:31 AM »
That looks incredible. Love the Dutch ovens. I need to find one of those.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:52:24 AM by HoosierKettle »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
Like a moth to a flame I keep coming back to this.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch