Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New slow & sear  (Read 1577 times)

chas1723

• Smokey Joe
New slow & sear
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:54:46 PM »
I am going to do a trial run of my slow & sear tomorrow. I am just doing chicken halfs but am excited to see how she works out.

I will say the slow & sear is much beefier than I realized. Very well put together and heavy duty. I ran some charcoal through it today to burn off any manufacturing debris and wide open vents had the temp over 600 degrees.

I have a 10 pound pork shoulder and also a rib roast that are next. Not sure which I will do first.

I will update after the cook.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: New slow & sear
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 04:40:41 AM »
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 08:05:33 AM »
Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I just bought one too, waiting for it to ship. The only good thing about that is it will hopefully warm up by the time it gets here lol

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »
Congratulations on the Slow n Sear!  I don’t own one but am hoping to win one in a contest on the kettle cookers fb page.  I can’t wait to see some pictures of your first cook!  Please share!
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

DJTOBY

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 12:12:27 PM »
I’m interested in one but the price has me thinking...

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 12:26:30 PM »
I love mine! Even makes my rotisserie chicken better! Low and slow cooks are super easy.. so easy you can easily take off and go to the store while it’s running with out worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

chas1723

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
My chicken stayed on a little long. Man can this thing put out some heat if you are not careful. The outside temperature was way below what I would normally cook in which kept me inside.  Now I know how few coals it actually needs to get going my next cook will be better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
New slow & sear
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
Yeah.. that’s what I learned also with my S’nS. The same amount of coals kicks out way more heat and that means .. crispier chicken skin and shorter cook times.
Life before S’nS was down to a set schedule of so much coals and so much time.
Life after was filled with re-learning everything.
My words of advice = don’t cut back on coals! Change your cook times and when your done.. shut the grill down to save the coals for the next cook.
Enjoy the extra heat it kicks out!

Edit= I suck at spelling ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:13:34 PM by vwengguy »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 05:19:16 PM »
I have trouble keeping my temps under 250 with my sns.  For low and slow cooks, I usually start with 12-15 coals and my bottom vent 1/4 open.  I use water in the trough. I typically have to close down the top vent to half, which will keep me around 260-275.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 04:55:19 AM »
My shipment was delayed and is now arriving in Saturday, hopefully still early enough to do low n slow in time for dinner :/
Together we'll fight the long defeat.