Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Calibrate thermometer?  (Read 1270 times)

moosehead

• Smokey Joe
Calibrate thermometer?
« on: November 21, 2017, 05:11:40 AM »
Cooked a tri tip last night and decided to try both stick thermometers since my wireless was acting up. Noticed that the thermometers were reading about 10 different.
So I tried my wireless and it was reading almost 20 higher.
No I don't know what one if any are accurate.
Any way to calibrate the stick thermometers?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Calibrate thermometer?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 05:29:51 AM »
Are these bimetal (mechanical) stick thermometers, or digital?

Whoever makes your stick thermometers could best answer that. But usually, no, unless you actually see a tiny adjustment hole or if there's a button sequence to enter a cal mode.

Test them by suspending in boiling water, but also do your best to keep everything but the probe away from the saucepan's metal. If you reliably get readings 10-20 degrees off, there's your "calibration." Just remember the number.

Long tern solution: Get a Thermapen.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »

Long tern solution: Get a Thermapen.

Yep, it truly is money well spent.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 07:26:02 AM »
You can just check them by doing teh boiling water test. Water boils at different temps depending on your altitude so you need to compensate for that. For example, my boiling point 110.8*F
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Don_

• WKC Brave
Calibrate thermometer?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:27:45 AM »
You can just check them by doing teh boiling water test. Water boils at different temps depending on your altitude so you need to compensate for that. For example, my boiling point 110.8*F

110.8°F!? How high are you?[emoji6][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »

Apparently I am pretty high here in California. The correct number for my altitude is 210.8*F, though.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Don_

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 08:41:35 AM »

Apparently I am pretty high here in California. The correct number for my altitude is 210.8*F, though.

Thanks! You had me going there....I was imagining your life on board a high altitude airship....it was all kinds of steampunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »
Fill as large glass with ice and then fill with water to the top with both.
Stir the ice and water with your thermometer for a while. They should 0 out at 32°f.

32° water is the same everywhere but boiling water temp changes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

moosehead

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
Tested a few thermometers and am reading 208. I do have a water softener but I thought that should raise the boiling point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

rui_alberto

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 05:33:52 AM »
You can test a thermometer at leat at 3 temperatures: 0° (ice bath), 100° (boiling water, correct with altitude) and 180ish, with sugar. Search online for calibrate oven sugar. Basically uses the sugar melting point to find out how off is you oven thermostat. Should work also to test a thermometer

Sent from my SM-G900F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app