Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cookbook with Basic Recipes  (Read 1393 times)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Cookbook with Basic Recipes
« on: March 21, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »
Can anyone recommend a great basic grilling book? I'm not looking for a how to grill more like something with basic recipes that aren't too fancy. I bought Webers Way to Grill. It's a good if not great book but I find many of the recipes are a little too gourmet type for me. They don't look bad, just seem like a lot of work. I want some simple recipes that don't take that long to prepare.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cookbook with Basic Recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »
Well, this may not be a cookbook, but YouTube. Smokey Goodness, ballistic BBQ, Smokey Ribs, Wolfe pit, kamado, BBQ pit boys, BBQ guys. I subscribe to all of their channels. You can search through whatever and however long you want!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 12:16:55 PM »
And the only space it takes up in your house is your phone!

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
I appreciate that, but I don't know how you can actually use that and make stuff at the same time. I don't know about you about I get messy when I cook. There'd be sauce and other gunk on my phone or tablet after I was done.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:24:24 AM by BBQFiend »
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:15:37 PM »
I know what you mean about most cookbooks trying to be ... ambitious. That said, you can still pick and choose what to use. So if you see something interesting but don't want to get that involved just start swapping or skipping stuff.

I often find something in this sub-forum or online from Google Images and just riff off of that. Many of us do that I think; it's why you'll see a series of similar dishes pop up within the space of a week or so here. The better threads will have clearer step-by step stories of how and what they did.

The main thing is to get some technique down. Doing that will let you adapt anything you see to your own style, even if it's just a simplified version.

As for the other, a laptop comes in real handy!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 01:34:06 PM »
If you find recipes you like online just print them out...then you don't have to worry about the phone getting messy
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 05:40:53 AM »
A little self promotion  but I still have a ton of books available

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2015/11/06/review-and-wkc-member-only-deal-webers-big-book-of-burgers/

what is more basic than burgers.  :)
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 05:47:25 AM »
^^ As much as I like that book, only perhaps the Route 66 Burgers are basic. :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 08:36:41 AM »

The main thing is to get some technique down. Doing that will let you adapt anything you see to your own style, even if it's just a simplified version.

This is how I approach most cooks I do outside, or inside.