I've been trying to pull back a little bit from acquisitions (turned down a $25 redhead with a chimney recently, a NIB old school Jumbo Joe, $25 OTP, etc...) but I couldn't pass this one up. A little outside of my normal budget, but it had been stored indoors! And its lime! And it has the cool vintage table (I'm going to put a separate post seeking care advice on that. (I was really hoping maybe there would be a C&T ring lurking). The woman really didn't want to sell it because it had sentimental value, but they were breaking up her grandfather's house and she said "I know, it has to go".
Once I get it home and clean it a little I'll post more and better pictures. These are low res from the seller's basement.
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/00r0r_ep5ZjRvxynI_600x450.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/00r0r_ep5ZjRvxynI_600x450.jpg.html)
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/00303_jJRrGbVbKn1_600x450.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/00303_jJRrGbVbKn1_600x450.jpg.html)
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/00606_6fm3qU83Bpg_600x450.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/00606_6fm3qU83Bpg_600x450.jpg.html)
My oh my what a score!! Congrats jko!
Congrats! A lime and the table! Great scores.
I've already got a table, but a limey is on my list, for sure...
Hell yeah!
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
That's a beauty, great score!!!
Did you tell her it was going to a good home?
Oh my goodness. That's special right there. Congratulations.
I don't have many kettles on the "wish list", but that is certainly one of them! Congrats on the rescue.
Do you have a picture of the bowl tabs?
Winz
Score! Nice work!
Congratulations both pieces are really beautiful :)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beautiful, can't wait to see it cleaned up!
Oh, and I don't think I could ever turn down a red for $25
Very nice work Steve! Looks in great condition and that table is a beauty.
Awesome score!
That's a beautiful find. Glad you grabbed it up.
Congrats! It looks great with the table. How did you find it?
That is a great score! Please share more photos when you get the chance.
HUGE! Congrats, she's a beauty.
Great pick up. Really like that color.
Sweet grill
Grate pick up
Lime time👍🏻
Congratulations, very nice score.
Great score !
Quote from: jkolantern on September 02, 2015, 10:38:18 AM
Once I get it home and clean it a little I'll post more and better pictures. These are low res from the seller's basement.
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/00303_jJRrGbVbKn1_600x450.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/00303_jJRrGbVbKn1_600x450.jpg.html)
Are you still in the seller's basement? Do you need help?
We are waiting for more pictures..... :)
Winz
@Winz Ha! No, I have just been busy and have some home improvement going on and haven't had any time to play with it. I did snap some more pictures in my basement and hope to do some cleanup this weekend. My apologies for being a terrible photographer. Gummi, I am not.
@LightningBoldtz , Agent Dad (who is responsible for picking this up, along with Agent Nephew getting some driving practice in) did tell her that it was going to a good home and told her about some of my grills.
@kendoll Thanks mate! Next time you and the missus come to the states you'll have to swing by for dinner cooked on it (assuming I haven't found anything cooler by then) and some beers.
This is all as it came-I haven't even washed it out.
Lid shot
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0029.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0029.jpg.html)
Bowl bottom. In pretty good shape, two chips about the size of a quarter and a little bubble (not pictured). Big tabs need to be straightened up a bit. Rivets seem to be in good shape.
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0020.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0020.jpg.html)
Some crazing (
@SixZeroFour , any advice on safely cleaning up crazing much appreciated, and thanks for the PM)
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0021.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0021.jpg.html)
Inside of bowl. Should clean up pretty easily, and only minor rust on the straps and welds. None of the 1/4 inch of crud some grills acquire.
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0024.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0024.jpg.html)
Ashpan. No warps or bends or anything.
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0025.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0025.jpg.html)
Lid Vent. Patented, engraved Weber with the rivet in the b.
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0030.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0030.jpg.html)
The shoes. Modern style Weber wheels.
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0033.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0033.jpg.html)
The only ding on the lid, and a shot of a handle. Even that ding might be massaged noticeably, because it seems to be more of a rusted crazing than a complete chip with missing porcelain. For a grill that had a table on it presumably a lot, I can't believe the shape the handles are in. Not a mark on them.
(http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/jkolantern/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0031.jpg) (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/jkolantern/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0031.jpg.html)
Based on the age guide and what I've read about the availability of limes, I think this might be able to be traced to 1977 specifically. That would be awesome for me, since it would make it a birth year kettle for me!
I hope to get some cleaned up and reassembled pics soon.
Once again, great find!!
Did you try the CLR and steel wool trick on the rust streaks? I would use the same method on the crazing but scrub directionally along the cracks. It should at least pull most of the rust color out of the cracks making them more difficult to see.
Quote from: SixZeroFour on September 10, 2015, 07:32:59 AM
Once again, great find!!
Did you try the CLR and steel wool trick on the rust streaks? I would use the same method on the crazing but scrub directionally along the cracks. It should at least pull most of the rust color out of the cracks making them more difficult to see.

Not yet (I haven't done anything to it except bring it inside and take pictures) but I will. Thanks! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else to look out for to try to avoid doing so as to not make the crazing worse. Thanks again!
Quote from: jkolantern on September 10, 2015, 06:33:47 AM
@Winz Ha! No, I have just been busy and have some home improvement going on and haven't had any time to play with it. I did snap some more pictures in my basement and hope to do some cleanup this weekend. My apologies for being a terrible photographer. Gummi, I am not.
@LightningBoldtz , Agent Dad (who is responsible for picking this up, along with Agent Nephew getting some driving practice in) did tell her that it was going to a good home and told her about some of my grills.
@kendoll Thanks mate! Next time you and the missus come to the states you'll have to swing by for dinner cooked on it (assuming I haven't found anything cooler by then) and some beers.
Mate it looks fantastic. Careful what you offer as I will definitely take you up on it! :)
Congrats, awesome score. Clean and gum it up again.
That looks to be in Great Condition. Congrats.