Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Poll

How often do you start your grill with the propane starter  

100% of the time
75% of the time
50% of the Time
Never I use a chimney starter
My starter is broken

Author Topic: Performer propane starter  (Read 9527 times)

JosephJ

• Smokey Joe
Performer propane starter
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:11:54 PM »
I just got a ss performer and can't decide if it's worth spending the cash on a regulator and tank.
Thanks, joe

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Performer propane starter
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »
A chimney is under $20 and if you subscribe to a newspaper, the fuel is endless..
But the propane start is sure nice!
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:16:26 PM »
Where are you located? If they pop up frequently in your area just strip one off another performer. You may even come out ahead! I love my gas assist. I use it for both baskets and chimney.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

JosephJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »
I live in Palmdale CA I like the look of the original small tank but $60 for the 1.2 gal propane tank. And how long before the tank expires and I can't get it refiled   

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:00:45 PM »
I use the gas assist for every cook, and love it.

Most folks around here have found LP refill stations that don't worry too much about expired tanks.  My guys never even give them a second look.  Since I store them outside and keep a close eye on them, I don't worry about them too much.
One of the charcoal people.

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 11:12:01 PM »
Where are you located? If they pop up frequently in your area just strip one off another performer. You may even come out ahead! I love my gas assist. I use it for both baskets and chimney.

This.
WTB 18 fruit

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:57 AM »
I use the touch~n~go 100 % of the time, prefer it over cubes..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

The_Doughboy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »
I have a tank and a regulator. I already had a tank but the regulator was only about $14 at Walmart.
I'm told a 3lb tank lasts only about 3 to 4 starts so a 20LB tank should pay for itself over the course of a summer. Filling it costs about $28 where I am.

I like to use the chimney starter with the propane starter, its neater, less mess and more efficient. Fill the chimney, turn on the starter and let it go for about 5 minutes. This is instead of the 10 to 15 minutes that the baskets would use.
Let the coals get ashed over, about another 10 to 15 minutes and you're set.

My only problem now is figuring where to put the tank.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
I'm told a 3lb tank lasts only about 3 to 4 starts so a 20LB tank should pay for itself over the course of a summer. Filling it costs about $28 where I am.

Welcome to the WKC
 3lb tank???  My SS Performers have a 5# tank and the newer Performers take a 1# tank
 3-4 starts?  BAD info my friend.  30-40 is much more accurate from a 5# tank.
 It cost me $3.15 plus tax last summer to fill up a completely empty 5# tank at the local lumber yard.
 I also use the chimney to get the charcoal started 99% of the time.  Typically, I'll use the side burner of the gas grill though.  :D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »
first post? Welcome, The_Doughboy!

FWIW I've seen a 1lb disposable tank run my dad's '06 Performer for 3-4 starts (coals sitting in the holders), and it was a good half-empty to begin with. On the last one we ran it for about 15 minutes or so, but I think it's spent now ... YES I can see the value and efficiency of using a chimney there. Nothing really gets the coals going like a chimney, and AFAIK Weber's chimneys are the best.

I'm not familiar with a "3lb" tank and I don't think Google is, either? The first (i.e. "stainless steel" [ss]) Performers came with a 5lb tank, still available but not with the FLAT side that mates perfectly to the grill's mount. The current 5lb tanks have a curve all the way around but fit "OK" on the SS Performers--I think.

Today I just saw on eBay re-certified original Manchester 5lb tanks with the flat side. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reconditioned-5lb-Propane-Cylinder-BBQ-Mr-Heater-Fishing-Tank-OPD-Valve-/111310034310 No bargain per se, but not a total rip-off either. (I need one for mine; I'm on the fence.)

The other "slim" tank (so that the valve lines up with the opening up top) is the 11lb size but might take some rigging. The ubiquitous 20lb tank would have to sit on the bottom grate.

My apologies if this is stuff you're already aware of.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 12:46:51 AM »
first post? Welcome, The_Doughboy!

FWIW I've seen a 1lb disposable tank run my dad's '06 Performer for 3-4 starts (coals sitting in the holders), and it was a good half-empty to begin with. On the last one we ran it for about 15 minutes or so, but I think it's spent now ... YES I can see the value and efficiency of using a chimney there. Nothing really gets the coals going like a chimney, and AFAIK Weber's chimneys are the best.

I'm not familiar with a "3lb" tank and I don't think Google is, either? The first (i.e. "stainless steel" [ss]) Performers came with a 5lb tank, still available but not with the FLAT side that mates perfectly to the grill's mount. The current 5lb tanks have a curve all the way around but fit "OK" on the SS Performers--I think.

Today I just saw on eBay re-certified original Manchester 5lb tanks with the flat side. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reconditioned-5lb-Propane-Cylinder-BBQ-Mr-Heater-Fishing-Tank-OPD-Valve-/111310034310 No bargain per se, but not a total rip-off either. (I need one for mine; I'm on the fence.)

The other "slim" tank (so that the valve lines up with the opening up top) is the 11lb size but might take some rigging. The ubiquitous 20lb tank would have to sit on the bottom grate.

My apologies if this is stuff you're already aware of.

I have an 11lb tank and it fits perfectly where the 5lb used to be but the bottom extends all the way down to the support shelf.

More info in my SS build thread: weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/working-on-ss-performers-gummi-bear-build-log-pic-heavy/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:49:54 AM by pbe gummi bear »

Brickout

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 05:53:14 AM »
I would time to refit my starter with the small 1lb tank / regulator. Has anyone done this?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 06:24:16 AM »
I have an 11lb tank and it fits perfectly where the alb used to be but the bottom extends all the way down to the support shelf. ...

Ah, yes that's where I saw it last year--tons of useful info in that thread!

mikeinctown had an unanswered question about how the 11lb tank is supported. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/working-on-ss-performers-gummi-bear-build-log-pic-heavy/msg35323/#msg35323

recap: In your picture the tank appears properly oriented but the collar on the 11lb are 90 degrees from the frame's tank support. So what supports your tank? Is it resting on the bottom of the frame only? Thanks again.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 06:50:41 AM »
Something else I've been wondering about. I'd splurge $30 or so for a new regulator/hose/QCC1 assembly so that my old SS can use a modern [non-disposable] tank. I really don't want to use the disposables.

Except that's not what the Weber #62642 part costs. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hose-and-regulator-assembly-p-1477479.html

What's going on here? Is it non-standard thread sizes, brass fittings?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 08:57:31 AM »
I have an 11lb tank and it fits perfectly where the alb used to be but the bottom extends all the way down to the support shelf. ...

Ah, yes that's where I saw it last year--tons of useful info in that thread!

mikeinctown had an unanswered question about how the 11lb tank is supported. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/working-on-ss-performers-gummi-bear-build-log-pic-heavy/msg35323/#msg35323

recap: In your picture the tank appears properly oriented but the collar on the 11lb are 90 degrees from the frame's tank support. So what supports your tank? Is it resting on the bottom of the frame only? Thanks again.

Thanks, ATS. I pulled the wire bale off the 5lb tank and bent it so that it fit on that side of the collar. (where the hole is) The metal isnt as wide there so if you squeeze it in you can retain use of the bale to hold the top in. It kinda "hangs" in place, but the bottom is resting on the shelf and the collar is tucked into the finish panel so it doesn't fall out of place. I also cut the bottom half of the bracket so that it didn't get in the way of the longer tank body. I have alot of catching up to do on that thread, I will add it to the to-do list. If you have any questions though, fire away. Thanks!