Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Poll

How often do you start your grill with the propane starter  

100% of the time
75% of the time
50% of the Time
Never I use a chimney starter
My starter is broken

Author Topic: Performer propane starter  (Read 9518 times)

JosephJ

• Smokey Joe
Re: Performer propane starter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 09:03:24 AM »
Something else I've been wondering about. I'd splurge $30 or so for a new regulator/hose/QCC1 assembly so that my old SS can use a modern [non-disposable] tank. I really don't want to use the disposables.

Except that's not what the Weber #62642 part costs. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hose-and-regulator-assembly-p-1477479.html

What's going on here? Is it non-standard thread sizes, brass fittings?
I was going to buy that the other day utill I realized the prise at checkout. That's insane I'm going to go to a propane shop and see if thay can build me a new setup like that. I have the original regulator setup but  I don't know if it works.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 10:11:35 AM »
This regulator was mentioned here previously as being a compatible replacement: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Pressue-Regulator/dp/B000BQUQEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361665260&sr=8-1&keywords=mr%20heater%20propane%20low%20pressure%20regulator%20f276136&tag=vglnkc5619-20

Disregard the brass fitting shown in the picture and get a QCC1 adapter to take its place and then hose and brass fittings. I just don't know what the rest of those pieces are.

I'm 80% sure about all of that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 06:02:10 PM »
Something else I've been wondering about. I'd splurge $30 or so for a new regulator/hose/QCC1 assembly so that my old SS can use a modern [non-disposable] tank. I really don't want to use the disposables.

Do you currently have a functioning regulator assembly for your old SS?  If so, all you need to do is remove the male end from the regulator and install this in it's place.  I do this on all of my rehabs/flips.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_361433-743-GFA-100_0__?Ntt=acme+nut&UserSearch=acme+nut&productId=50142158&rpp=32

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 07:14:40 PM »
OK that makes sense, and if I need a regulator I can use the Mr. Heater, right? (So maybe it's the hose and fittings that are "worth gold"? Eh, whatever, if they still look OK I guess I'll reuse them ...)

Picked up my '92 SS last year with an empty, old tank that couldn't be refilled. So I don't yet know if the regulator works.

Thanks!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 05:35:15 AM »
Follow-up question:

Here's the thread about the Mr. Heater: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-regulator-question/msg18705/#msg18705

Amazon says it's 3/8" thread and the Lowe's link above for the QCC1 adapter says it's 1/4" threads. So does the p.o.l. part they also mention stay with it an make it a 3/8" connection? Obviously I've never had any of this stuff before--my SS predates any sort of quick-disconnect; I had to use a wrench.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
Performer propane starter
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 08:57:48 AM »

Except that's not what the Weber #62642 part costs. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hose-and-regulator-assembly-p-1477479.html

I called Weber the other day because I just picked up a red SS last weekend and they quoted me $59.99 shipped. The weber customer service lady saw the price and said to me..."Let me see if we can do better on that price for you."  Sure enough she put me on hold and came back with a $59.99 shipped price. It's in my cart and I'm on the fence about it.

The other option that others have suggested is to simply buy one of these and use the existing gas line and regulator...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BQT5H2/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?tag=vglnkc3325-20

Menards home improvement stores carries them for $6.99 and I bought one the other day too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:00:44 AM by crumbsnatcher »

JosephJ

• Smokey Joe

GillingNoob757

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »
@JosephJ Did it work?

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »
Use the propane starter with the chimney, then pour into the baskets if you want.  Lighting charcoal in the baskets takes alot of gas.  I use the disposable green 1lb tanks and refill them from a 20lb cylinder.  Definitely worth it - easier, quicker, and more reliable than newspaper. 

JosephJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 01:49:11 PM »

GillingNoob757

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 08:26:42 AM »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 09:29:45 AM »
I use my gas assist most all the time. I run it about 4 min on average and get many starts on a disposable. I always use the chimney( The regular non-Weber type chimney). I cook indirect most times with only one char basket. Little over half chimney heaps the basket. Toss on a couple chunks of wood for smoke. Usually get 250 for an hour and half or so. If starting a full chimney I have no issue with a light application of starter fluid and then setting chimney on the lit gas assist after starter fluid dies off. I can cook direct over the basket by rotating the grate to move items over or off the coals.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:33:06 AM by TD »