Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Easter Ham cooking methods  (Read 1813 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Easter Ham cooking methods
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:11:28 AM »
I think we are hosting an Easter meal this year and I am thinking I'll do a ham on the weber. How would you all cook one?
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Re: Easter Ham cooking methods
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:10:27 AM »
I use my Rotisserie and probably will use it againg for Easter as well. The first Ham I did on the grill I did in a pan. It was not on my Weber....I didn't have it yet.....It was very good but it is easier and less mess and most importantly better tasting on the rotisserie.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »
Okay. Methods for those that don't have a rotisserie (yet).

:)
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:52:10 AM »
Use a pan...I would suggest an aluminium one since you won't have to clean it after. Inject if you want to...I would recomend it. Do the ham indirect at a medium/low heat...about 275-300 range and let the grill do the work for you.  I am at work now but can go into more detail later if you need more help. I make up a ....rub kind of thing....I smear honey over the ham and then rub brown sugar over the whole thing. I usually inject it with butter/honey/sugar/glaze mixtures as well. It WILL collect plenty of juice in the pan . You only need to get the temp up to 145 internal unless you are starting out with a raw ham....most hams at the store have already been cooked and you really are just heating it up. !45 degrees will get it hot and juicy and NOT dryed out.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:30:48 AM »
A few years ago my grocery store stocked fresh ham (aka the uncured back leg of a pig) at Christmas-time, so we gave it a try.  Without enough time to do a proper cure, we just flavor-brined it for several days.  I did cook it on the rotis, but it was a nerve-wracking hassle since it was almost 20lbs and very difficult to adequately tie onto the rotisserie-- it flopped around a lot.  So I think next time I might lay it on a rack, or maybe in a pan to collect some of the juices.  I think I ran the grill at about 300 and used some apple wood for smoke and glazed it as well and it came out delicious. 
One of the charcoal people.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:47:07 AM »
For Christmas dinner this past year I cooked a bone in Ham with a apricot bourbon glaze that turned out fantastic.  I pulled the basic recipe from the BBQpitboys.com website and then tweaked it a little bit.  I tossed it on a roasting rack over a drip pan filled with apple juice and cooked it on my 26er until the internal temp hit what was called out on the packaging.  It was a hit with the whole family.  I even received calls a few days later asking if there were any more leftovers available.  I will definitely be doing again at some point.

As it went on

As it came off
-Keith

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
I did an Apricot glazed ham.  I just followed the video from BBQ Pit Boys and it turned out awesome.  Here is the link to so you can check out the video.  My wife's parents loved it.  Came out perfect the first time I tired it.  http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/country-smoked-ham#.UzCJHPldU4g

This is what mine turned out like.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)