Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2-1-1 baby backs ***pic heavy***  (Read 2104 times)

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
2-1-1 baby backs ***pic heavy***
« on: February 24, 2014, 07:02:09 AM »
Did my first run at 2-1-1 baby backs last night. Here is a sampling of the journey.  Ran a 2-1 snake with Hickory chunks. I just used the top vent for temp control now that I know my kettle well enough to trust it, I tried by best to keep it at about 240 which on my kettle is about 225 at the grate. I battled the wind a bit but it wasn't gusting bad enough to create any real havoc.

The rub:

The flesh:

Rubbed and ready:

The snake with Hickory (only  needed 1/2 that):

Mini chimney makes this process so easy:

Almost there:

2 hours done time to wrap it up:

Wrapped and ready, I used a small amount of Apple Cider Vinegar to braise:

Smoke Smoke Smoke Smoke Smoke:

Unwrapped and after the last hour. I brushed on a very thin layer of sauce at about 15 to go time:

My half rack:

Plated with some Risotto and Broccoli. Sauce always goes on 1 rib, I like it both ways ;)

The rest is history thanks for looking!
WTB: Genesis Jr.

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
Re: 2-1-1 baby backs ***pic heavy***
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:38:09 AM »
Great Job!  8)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:21:54 PM »
Excellent ribs! I never gave it any thought, but I think the mini chimney might make more sense than the larger one for every cook.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »

" I never gave it any thought, but I think the mini chimney might make more sense than the larger one for every cook."

Finally stepped into the 21st century & got one......only Weber chimney I've ever owned & really like it!!!!

Tremendous looking rib cookup, man !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »
Excellent ribs! I never gave it any thought, but I think the mini chimney might make more sense than the larger one for every cook.

I only use a full bucket for steaks as I need the heat, otherwise the little guy does it all...

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 04:04:16 PM »
They look great!  So over the 4 hrs. did you have to add fuel?  I have some baby backs and I think I should try this.  I've never smoked is a kettle though.  Hell, I don't even have briquettes.  Can you do a snake with lump? 
WTB 18 fruit

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 04:08:02 PM »

"Can you do a snake with lump? "

Yes, but it needs a bit more care stacking the pieces.....make sure you have good contact all along the line & sprinkle the small bits that ordinarily fall thru the grate over the TOP of the bigger pieces for "burn insurance"
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »
They look great!  So over the 4 hrs. did you have to add fuel?  I have some baby backs and I think I should try this.  I've never smoked is a kettle though.  Hell, I don't even have briquettes.  Can you do a snake with lump?

I only used just under 2/3's of the coal  you see stacked above maybe only 1/2. I've done a full snake and pushed it to 8.5 hours before I had to add more. I've never snaked with lump, I figure you'd have to battle temp spikes as some of those chunks are denser than others. Might not matter but I'm not brave enough yet.

The snake with coal is the easiest smoke I've ever done....ever! I would own a WSM if it weren't so easy to smoke on the kettle but once I got to this site and learned the snake I've never looked back and couldn't be more satisfied.