Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This is gonna take a while  (Read 2057 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
This is gonna take a while
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »

Back in the refrigerator and covered with a clean tea towel to dry age. This will be our Christmas dinner (on the 26th) and it's starting out as a 10 lb standing rib roast.

One of the great things about BBQ is the ability to take an unremarkable and inexpensive) cut such as a brisket or a butt and make something truly delicious out of that. However there are times when it is nice to start with something a little higher on the scale and one of my favorites is a standing rib roast. Bone removed and cut into slabs it would be a ribeye steak. That's another favorite but today I started the dry age process for this one.

Now I need to decide if it will go in the smoker or on the rotisserie. Everyone on BBQ-Brethren recommends doing these at 225°F and that's easier to achieve on a smoker. But things on the rotisserie can come out really good!

Stay tuned but don't hold your breath!
kettles, smokers...

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: This is gonna take a while
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:25:22 AM »
I did 2 - 5 lb roasts not bone in last year.

First one I did the classic really high heat to sear and dial it down but I over cooked it.  I took it off at 125 and it climbed to 140.  Fortunately my guests liked their meat more well done and they raved about it.

Second one, I seared over the fire on all sides and let it cook low and slow, very little smoke if any.  This one settled at 130 and what a difference, it was moist, tender and just delicious.

All that said, I say go low and slow.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »
Sacré bleu that's beautiful!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »
I did 2 - 5 lb roasts not bone in last year.

First one I did the classic really high heat to sear and dial it down ...

All that said, I say go low and slow.
If I use high heat at all it will be at the end of the cook. But the whole matter is complicated by the uncertainty over whether we'll have one grandchild by then or two. Our D-I-L is ready to deliver.  ;D We also have to work around our 2+ year old grandson's nap/sleep schedule 'cause he can be a little tyrant when he doesn't get enough rest. (He does make his grandfather happy though by snarfing up everything that comes off my Webers. ;) )
kettles, smokers...

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 07:33:30 AM »
kettles, smokers...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 07:49:46 AM »
Looking good, Hank! I'll have to give this a try one day.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »
I would be disingenuous if I did not follow up on this. Here's the last picture.

That was on the smoker after 3 1/2 hours. At this point I put it on a kettle with a chimney full of freshly lit lump (indirect) for another ten minutes or so to improve the sear. Then it went into a preheated cooler wrapped in several layers of foil. We soon headed off to the kids place for dinner.

To carve this, I sliced off the ribs in one piece and quietly wrapped them in foil and put them back in the cooler. ;) The rest of the roast was sliced and there was very little left by the time dinner was finished. The next day I relit the lump in the kettle and closed the dampers to keep temps about 250° and roasted the ribs another couple hours. They came out great!

I highly recommend standing rib roast for anyone who enjoys beef! You can also do a ribeye roast which is the same cut (I think) but without the ribs, but I really like the ribs too.
kettles, smokers...