Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: PSB --- with a set-up twist  (Read 1995 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
PSB --- with a set-up twist
« on: November 12, 2013, 04:39:58 PM »
A week ago, I threw a chuck on the 18" WSM while I ran out for some errands & recoil therapy.  By the time I got home, I completely overshot the 165 internal temps and was pushing 200 degrees.  So, I just made pulled beef instead.  But I still had a hankering for the PSB and today was the day. 

Problem was, it was windy as all get out today.

But I had a plan...  First up --- fresh cracked pepper, kosher salt, and a shake of Montreal Steak

Fired up the mini under the deck in Bman's Gadial Ganing where most of the other Weber's reside.

All together, but man is it windy. 

If I only had a wind break for the mini....  <lightbulb turns on in my head>

Oh yeah...

Removed the door and this set-up worked perfectly!

Time to kick back and relax

Peppers all diced up and awaiting their next venture

Annnnnnd it's go time...

Added 12oz of Guiness & worcestershire sauce to the veggies.

Kinda funny, the heat rolling out of the mini has the 22 lid temp a lot higher than I would have guessed.  lol

165 internal and looks great

Fit perfectly into the foil pan

Wrapped in foil, replaced both lids and ready for the next couple of hours.  I opened the bottom vent 100% and it climbed up to 415 degrees!

After 2.5-3 hours braising, it's time for the fork test.  Yeah, this was good to go.

Shredded and ready to reduce the liquid

Out of the mine and headed to the kitchen

A little fine tuning with the shredding and this baby is ready to consume

I typically don't make/take a plated pic, but I laughed when I put this together.  It's a plate of carbs --- bun, rice, tater...  lol  I had other veggies and salad fixins' in the fridge, but I went bachelor style instead.  Looks like I'll need an extra hour in the gym tomorrow.

If you haven't made a Pepper Stout Beef yet, put it on your must-do list.  Stuff is excellent!  Thanks for playing along.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: PSB --- with a set-up twist
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »
Holy shat that's creative! I was gonna suggest using the performers as a wind break but the wsm midsection is genius. The PSB looks delicious!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:46:30 AM »
Great looking cook and pure genius on the windbreak!:)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 06:30:07 AM »
That's a great idea BMan, looks like it worked perfectly! That PSB looks fantastic

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using  Tapatalk 2

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »
That's a great idea and it looks like it worked well. I just put a turkey on the rotisserie on my SS Performer and it's pretty windy here. Unfortunately I don't have anything big enough to put that in. I should see if I can put something upwind of it to provide some protection.
kettles, smokers...

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 06:22:11 PM »
(Looks over at wife sitting on couch)

"Honey, can you please hand me my wallet from the coffee table?  I need my credit card to order a 22" WSM off of Amazon to use as a wind-break during our next cook."

LOL! 

Seriously though, that is a great idea.   I think I'm going to find a cheap "burn-barrel" off CL, cut the top off, drill some vent holes in the bottom and flip it over the 18" WSM  and "Mini" this winter.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:39:09 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »
Nice job on that PSB! I bet the results were scrumptious.  :)